$20,000 reward offered for information on double homicide at Compton street takeover

The mothers of two men who were fatally shot during an illegal street takeover in Compton last year joined sheriff’s officers on Friday in asking the public for help finding their killers.

Javier Carachure Menchaca, 19, and Juan Antonio Orozco, 22, were shot dead in the November 14 street takeover, authorities said. Investigators said none of the victims belonged to a gang and they were merely spectators at the event, which typically sees drivers performing dangerous stunts in their cars.

On Friday, authorities announced a $20,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for the shooting. Detectives said they had exhausted all of their leads in the case.

Javier Carachure Menchaca's mother, Hermalinda Menchaca, is pleading with the public to help find her son's killer

Javier Carachure Menchaca’s mother, Hermalinda Menchaca, is asking the public to help find her son’s killer after he was shot dead on November 14, 2021 while watching a street takeover with another man. (Nathan Solis/Los Angeles Times)

(Nathan Solis/Los Angeles Times)

Around 200 people took part in the illegal street takeover at an industrial area at the intersection of Bulls Road and Pine Avenue, authorities said. Gunshots rang out as Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Deputies arrived at the scene around 1 a.m. and hundreds of people fled in their cars.

The only vehicle that remained contained the bodies of Menchaca and Orozco, according to homicide investigators.

At a news conference Friday, Sheriff’s Sgt. Michael Austin said there were many witnesses at the scene.

“Hundreds of vehicles were out there,” said Austin, who joined the victims’ families in asking for the public’s help on the case.

Menchaca and Orozco’s mothers quietly asked that someone come forward with information about the shooting.

“I couldn’t enjoy my son’s time,” Sylvia Rosales, Orozco’s mother, said, crying in Spanish. She described her son as adventurous, loving and hard-working, who dropped out of school as a teenager to help support his family’s expenses. Orozco was born in Los Angeles and his family hails from Jalisco, Mexico.

His girlfriend of four, Jasmine Baide, said Orozco worked for a mobile detail service. The day before the shooting, he told her and his mother that he planned to take part in a street takeover, but gave no further details.

Rosales went in search of her son the morning after the shooting because video from immediately after the shooting showed the two men and was circulating on social media. Even now, Rosales is sobbing when she thinks that the video clearly showed her son was killed.

Javier Carachure Menchaca (left) and Juan Antonio Orozco

Javier Carachure Menchaca (left) and Juan Antonio Orozco were shot and killed while sitting in a parked car in a Compton street takeover on November 14, 2022.

(Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department)

Menchaca’s mother, Hermalinda Menchaca, said her son enjoys playing American and Spanish soccer, but he also enjoys playing video games. He was born in Los Angeles and his family is from Michoacan, Mexico.

“He was serious and shy, it was rare to see him laugh out loud,” Jessica Carachure said of her younger brother.

“He was very intelligent as a little boy,” Menchaca’s mother said. “Ever since he was 8 or 10, he’s wanted to be a cop or work in law enforcement.”

Carachure added that after her brother graduated from high school, he said he wanted to be a chef.

Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to call homicide detectives Timothy Ruggiero and Austin at 323-890-5500. Anonymous tips can be submitted at 800-222-8477.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-08-12/20-000-reward-for-info-on-double-homicide-outside-compton-street-takeover $20,000 reward offered for information on double homicide at Compton street takeover

Alley Einstein

USTimesPost.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@ustimespost.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button