Emmy-nominated Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt star Ellie Kemper returns to Netflix in the new romantic comedy film Happiness for Beginners. The rom-com is based on the best-selling book of the same name by Katherine Center and comes from writer-director Vicky Wight.
In the movie, Kemper plays Helen, a newly divorced single woman looking for a fresh perspective from her life. Being so, she signs up for a beginners hiking trip in the Appalachian Trail with a group of fellow beginners searching for something existential in the great outdoors.
As luck would have it, Helen’s confronted with a budding connection with Jake (Luke Grimes), a handsome doctor who she knows prior to embarking on the hiking adventure. With their guards down in the wilderness, Helen and Jake might find something more than they expected.
Like all great movies, Happiness for Beginners features plenty of catchy songs to punctuate big moments. The movie’s final scene features one of the most popular songs from The Cure, but you’ll want to add the whole soundtrack to your hiking playlist.
Happiness for Beginners soundtrack
Aside from The Cure song that ends the film, Happiness for Beginners doesn’t feature a lot of popular, easily recognizable music. You won’t be hearing Taylor Swift and hit songs from TikTok in this title like you will in Prime Video’s The Summer I Turned Pretty.
Nonetheless, most of the music is cheerful and upbeat, the perfect mix of songs to include on a playlist for a walk in the wilderness or even just in your neighborhood. A few of the movie’s stars even sing a few songs, such as Blythe Danner and Gus Birney. Kemper sings in the car, too!
Here’s the full Happiness for Beginners soundtrack:
- “Head in the Clouds” by Max Frost
- “Jam Likely” by Zackey Force Funk/XL Middleton
- “Hey Cat” by Nomke
- “Beautiful Dreamer” performed by Blythe Danner
- “Island” by Elizabeth Drummond
- “Bombanza” by Bob Schneider
- “Moon Song” by Bob Schneider
- “Greensleeves” performed by Gus Birney
- “Give a Little Love” by MoStar Driving Club
- “Molly Malone” performed by Gus Birney
- “Come Round” by Astropark
- “Super Fresh (Instrumental)” by Alaina Cross x Silverberg
- “40 Dogs (Like Romeo & Juliet)” by Bob Schneider
- “Just Like Heaven” by The Cure
- “This Whisper Is Ours” by Andrew Stepanian
Watch Happiness for Beginners only on Netflix!