Arrests made years after decapitated body found in Puget Sound

Shanan Lynn Read’s decomposed body was found in a plastic container in Puget Sound on January 15, 2006.

KITSAP COUNTY, Wash. – More than 16 years after the body of a 33-year-old woman was found beheaded, three people have been arrested in connection with the death of Shanan Lynn Read.

The Kitsap County Sheriff’s Office (KCSO) said they worked with law enforcement agencies across the country this week to bring the three men into custody. A fourth suspect in the case has since died.

A 39-year-old man was arrested in Philadelphia on Monday. On Tuesday, a 42-year-old man was taken into custody in Sarasota, Fla., and a 34-year-old man was arrested in Riverside, California.

Read’s decomposed body was found floating in a plastic container in Puget Sound on January 15, 2006. The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife referred the case to the sheriff’s office after responding to a suspicious object floating between Manchester and Blake Island that discovered bodywork.

In March 2006, Read’s head was discovered in the same area. She was identified by fingerprint analysis.

The inquest found that Read was killed in August 2005, five months before her body was found, when she was hit in the head with a metal club.

She was injured in a Seattle apartment, investigators found, and then taken to a cabin in Port Orchard, where she died. For weeks, the suspects returned to a family member’s cabin and poured chemicals over her body to speed decomposition before disposing of her body.

Another man, Michael Thomason, helped dispose of her body and was later convicted of unlawfully disposing of human remains.

>> Download KING 5’s Roku and Amazon Fire apps to watch live newscasts and videos on demand

Detectives identified four suspects in the murder by following leads and interviewing witnesses over the years. In the past 10 months, investigators have finally been able to confirm the involvement of the four suspects.

In June 2022, a US Coast Guard investigative officer submitted the case to the Kitsap County Attorney’s Office, which responded by issuing arrest warrants for three suspects who lived out of state.

KCSO and the Coast Guard special agent worked with multiple federal and state agencies to locate and arrest the three men.

All three face first-degree murder charges and are being held on $10 million bail. They are awaiting extradition to Washington State, where they will be sent to the Kitsap County Jail.

No details about Read’s relationship with the men or what led to their deaths have been released.

Supporting agencies included the US Postal Inspection Service, US Coast Guard Investigative Service, US Marshall Service, and the Philadelphia, Sarasota, and Riverside Police Departments.

This is an evolving story. Check for updates again.

Download our free KING 5 app to keep up with news from across western Washington. Arrests made years after decapitated body found in Puget Sound

Alley Einstein is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button