Sports

Barcelona to listen to offers for Sergino Dest in pursuit of Chelsea’s Azpilicueta

Barcelona will be listening to offers for Sergino Dest while continuing to pursue Chelsea defender Cesar Azpilicueta following the signing of Jules Kounde, sources have confirmed to ESPN.

ESPN revealed earlier this summer that Barca had informed Dest that he was part of their plans for the upcoming season.

Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN+ (US only)
Don’t have ESPN? Get instant access

Dest, 21, is happy at Barcelona and said in early July he would “definitely” stay beyond the transfer window.

Coach Xavi Hernandez also remains in favor of Dest as he offers different qualities to the other full-backs in the squad, but a number of factors have forced the club to reconsider their stance on the USA international.

A failure to transfer players deemed redundant by Xavi means Barca must now consider letting others go.

The Catalan club need to balance their accounts after several summer signings – Kounde became their sixth signing in the window on Thursday – and also need to free up salary space to register the new players.

Xavi called on Neto, Oscar Mingueza, Samuel Umtiti, Riqui Puig and Martin Braithwaite to find new clubs in May.

They have all been left out of Barca’s squad for this month’s tour to the United States but none of them have secured a move from the Camp Nou so far.

Other players on the tour such as Miralem Pjanic and Memphis Depay are also allowed to leave for the right price. Initial talks were held with Juventus Turin about a deal for Memphis.

Meanwhile, Barca and Manchester United have agreed a transfer fee for Frenkie de Jong but club sources admit there are significant complications in finalizing this deal as the midfielder wants to stay at the Camp Nou.

The lack of departures coupled with the number of signings this summer is now forcing the club to make other, more difficult decisions.

As a result, sources have told ESPN that offers for Dest are welcomed as Barca are optimistic they can complete Azpilicueta’s signing despite recent comments from Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel.

In Florida last week, Tuchel said he was ‘a bit upset’ by Barca’s pursuit of the Spain international and suggested he could pull the plug.

Barca sacked Dani Alves when his contract expired in June to allow Azpilicueta and Dest to compete for the right-back position.

But with the money spent on strikers Robert Lewandowski and Raphinha, Barca’s priorities have shifted and they would happily start the season with Sergi Roberto, Ronald Araujo and Kounde as Azpilicueta’s replacement options.

Dest joined Barca from Ajax for €20m in 2020. Since then he has made 72 appearances for the club in all competitions, scoring three goals. He has a contract until 2025.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-transfers/story/4708485/barcelona-to-listen-to-offers-for-sergino-dest-in-pursuit-of-chelseas-azpilicueta-sources Barcelona to listen to offers for Sergino Dest in pursuit of Chelsea’s Azpilicueta

Emma Bowman

USTimesPost.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@ustimespost.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button