For iPhone screenshots, the default image format is PNG. But PNG images have a larger file size than JPEG. As a result, you may sometimes find it necessary to convert your iPhone screenshots to JPEG format. If you’ve taken a lot of screenshots, you might want to find a way to batch convert them.
See how you can batch convert PNG images to JPEG on your iPhone for free using Apple’s Shortcuts app.
About the iPhone Shortcuts app
Introduced in iOS 13, Shortcuts is a built-in app that automates tasks on your iPhone.
If it’s just a few images, there are quick ways to take a JPEG screenshot on your iPhone instead of a PNG. But if you have a lot of screenshots, you’re better off saving time in the long run by setting up iPhone shortcuts. This way, your device does the batch conversion of the images for you, and you don’t need to edit each image one by one.
To set up a PNG to JPEG shortcut on your iPhone, here are two main steps:
- Create a dedicated JPEG album in Picture application.
- Create a three-action shortcut in Shortcuts application.
Download: Keyboard Shortcuts (Free)
Step 1. Create a New Album for the converted images
By creating a dedicated JPEG album, you can ensure that your original and converted screenshots won’t be lumped together in the same place later, such as Recently. This makes it easy to sort out which is the new JPEG image and which is the original PNG image.
Here’s how to create a new album:
- Go Picture apps, tap plus (+) icon and select New album.
- Give your album a suitable name, such as JPEG converted. This album will be the destination for your converted images later.
Step 2. Create a shortcut to batch convert PNG images
Creating iPhone shortcuts involves adding and arranging specific actions to the Shortcuts app. Here are each action you need to add.
Select image to convert
To convert PNG images to JPEG, you need to tell your iPhone what the first action is — get the image from Picture application. Here’s how to do it:
- Go Shortcuts application. inside My Shortcuts touch New keyboard shortcut (+) button.
- Give your shortcut a suitable name such as Convert PNG to JPEG.
- Clap More action. inside Application tab, select Picture.
- You will see a list of actions related to Picture application. Clap Choose a photo.
- Click the arrow next to Choose a photo. Turn on Choose many.
Convert all images
The second action is to transform the image. To add this to your shortcut:
- Pull up the thumbnail menu at the bottom. Touch x icon to return to the main selection.
- inside Type tab, select Media.
- Scroll down Picture section. Selection Image conversion. The preferred default file format is JPEG, so you don’t need to change anything here.
Save converted image
The third action is to save the converted images to your favorite album. To add this:
- Bring up the menu again. Touch x icon to return to the main selection.
- inside Application category, select Picture.
- Choose Save to photo album.
- The default album selected is Recently. Click on the word Recently to edit and change it to JPEG converted album you created earlier.
Once you’re done, your final three-tasking shortcut should look like the image below. Then just tap Exit button (icon shows a x) at the top right. Yours Convert PNG to JPEG shortcuts are automatically saved on the Shortcuts app on your iPhone.
How to Use Keyboard Shortcuts on Your iPhone to Batch Convert PNG to JPEG
In the future, when you want to batch convert PNG screenshots to JPEG, just go to Shortcuts app and tap your Convert PNG to JPEG shortcut. This gives Picture automatic albums. Select the screenshot you want to convert, tap Addand wait for a few seconds.
Once it’s loaded, you’ll see a small check mark. This means your iPhone has successfully converted the image. Simply go to JPEG converted photo album to get your JPEG photos.
The fastest way to batch convert PNG images to JPEG on your iPhone
The Shortcuts app can be a bit complicated if you’re using it for the first time. But once you set up this iPhone shortcut, your workflow will become ten times more efficient. You won’t need to manually convert images one by one or go through the complicated process of uploading them to a desktop application. You can manage your media files directly on your iPhone.
5 ways to compress videos on your iPhone
About the author
https://www.makeuseof.com/how-to-batch-convert-png-images-to-jpeg-iphone/ Batch Convert PNG Images to JPEG on Your iPhone for Free