BENJAMIN Mendy is selling his £5million home and chasing Man City for millions to avoid bankruptcy, a court has learned.
The 29-year-old ex-Man City star, who was acquitted of rape and attempted rape, has not been paid by the club since September 2021.
He is now being prosecuted by HMRC over an £800,000 tax debt, which is filing for bankruptcy.
TheHe was told Mendy’s agent was “in negotiations with Manchester City to obtain a refund of his salary on the basis that he was found not guilty”.
His accountant said he was asking Premier League winners “in the region of £9m to 10m gross”.
Mendy’s Cheshire home has also been put up for sale by estate agents Savills for £5million as the star seeks to recover costs from his court case.
His unnamed accountant said: “He was indeed very tight on cash, the cost of the lawsuit was over a million pounds.”
Mendy has movedafter being signed by French Ligue 1 club FC Lorient.
He left City when his contract expired in June, having not played for the club since his arrest in 2021.
City reportedly spent £49.2million to sign Mendy from French club Monaco on a six-year deal in 2017.
His deal guaranteed him a base salary of £100,000 a week and up to £170,000 with bonuses.
The court was told his debt to HMRC was £788,409.
Judge Clive Jones said: “I am very unimpressed by the lack of information provided to both HMRC and the Court ahead of this hearing.”
“That’s the wrong move for him, in my opinion.”
The case was adjourned until October 4 to give Mendy time to sell his home.
The star cried when he was cleared of one count of rape and one attempted rape last month.
Mendy, who said the encounters were consensual, was previously found not guilty on a number of other charges after a trial.