Bride, 19, dies in house fire on her wedding day
A Wisconsin bride died unexpectedly of complications from a fire on the day of her wedding.
Paige Ruddy suffered a fatal brain hemorrhage caused by smoke inhalation after a fire at a home in Reedsburg on Tuesday (May 23). The 19-year-old, who was about to get married on the day of the tragedy, died in hospital the next day.
“She was just a valuable person. “There was nothing about her not to like,” Ruddy’s aunt told the NBC affiliate WMTV. “She was that presence you never knew you would need in your life, but always needed.”
Family members had prepared to attend Ruddy and her fiancé’s Logan Mitchell-Carter ceremony at the Sauk County Courthouse, but instead received news of their sudden deaths. There will be a funeral next week, Ruddy’s aunt told the broadcaster.
Ruddy, who graduated last summer, planned to attend a veterinary tech program at Madison Area Technical College next fall.
According to Sauk County authorities, a preliminary investigation into the fire and death of Ruddy is ongoing.
Her grieving family created one GoFundMe to cover the funeral expenses.
“Paige has enough good qualities to fill a room. Since she was a toddler, Paige has been full of life, willing to help anyone with anything and was an absolute joy to be with,” the fundraiser’s description read.
“She was kind, funny and according to her family she had a lot of guts. Paige has always worked hard in everything she did.”