MILLIONS of adults will put their summer vacation plans on hold as the cost of living takes its toll.
A survey of 2,000 holidaymakers found that 36 percent would rather stay at home than fly abroad this year.
However, 68 percent of respondents believe it is possible to get the “vacation feeling” without traveling abroad.
Exactly one in ten intends to do so by revamping their home along the lines of previous trips – and they reckon they will spend an average of £349 to do so.
A quarter of all respondents have tried this – with the Mediterranean style being the most popular, just ahead of the Scandinavian.
Deborah Dolce of home goods retailer Homesense, who commissioned the study, said, “The study confirms that customers are genuinely looking for this new Med aesthetic.”
“Imagine the maximalist style of White Lotus in Sicily – and we absolutely saw that in sales at our Homesense stores across the UK this spring.”
“The kind of things that are flying out of the stores are all the colorful decorative items from Italy and Portugal, high-thread-count luxury hotel linens, statement rugs, terracotta panels for outdoor entertainment, and high-quality Mediterranean ceramics.”
The study also found that adding fairy lights to the garden is a way for many respondents to add a festive touch to their homes.
Also popular options include swapping out dinnerware sets for restaurant-style sets, investing in patio furniture, and getting a paddling pool.
So is buying sunbeds for the garden, imitating meals eaten abroad, and listening to music from specific countries or regions.
According to a study we conducted, making cocktails from around the world is also a popular way to recreate that holiday feeling at home OnePoll.
Starting at 9am on Saturday (June 10), gold tickets will be hidden in Homesense stores – and anyone who finds one wins a prize.
There are five Mediterranean-inspired home makeovers to be won with a top-notch interior designer and 500 £5 gift cards.
Top 20 ways adults turn their home into a vacation spot:
1. Repeat the meals you ate abroad
2. Put up fairy lights in the garden
3. Organize “theme evenings”, e.g. e.g. Mexican, French etc.
4. Get some nice cups/plates, similar to restaurants
5. Buying new sheets to make it feel like a hotel
6. Listen to the music of another culture
7. Invest in patio furniture
8. Get a grill
9. Set up a large paddling pool
10. Open all windows to let in sunshine/fresh air
11. Prepare cocktails from all over the world
12. Buying sun loungers for the garden/terrace
13. Renovation of the lighting in the garden
14. Purchase of some exotic indoor/garden plants
15. Only wear your holiday wardrobe at home
16. Attach a hammock to your tree for relaxing
17. Buying mezze tableware for indoor and outdoor use
18. Serves special “Sundowner” cocktails at 7pm
19. Laying a colorful rug on the patio or patio
20. Modernize the lighting in the garden to give it a more sophisticated beach club vibe