Broncos rule out Russell Wilson for Cardinals game Sunday

Broncos QB Russell Wilson has cleared concussion records but will be ruled out of Denver’s game against the Cardinals, coach Nanthaniel Hackett said Friday.

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) — Broncos quarterback Russell Wilson has cleared concussion records but will be ruled out of Denver’s game against the Arizona Cardinals, coach Nanthaniel Hackett said Friday.

Hackett said Wilson isn’t happy with the decision, but the Broncos want to take every precaution for their 34-year-old quarterback’s health.

Wilson suffered a concussion after diving headlong into several defenders at the goal line after a 14-yard scramble against the Kansas City Chiefs last weekend.

He appeared to be briefly knocked unconscious and when his helmet was removed a swelling on his forehead was clearly visible. He was replaced by Brett Rypien, who will make his third career start on Sunday.

Wilson quickly went through the league’s concussion rules this week, participating in individual throwing drills on Wednesday, taking limited snaps on Thursday and fully participating on Friday.

After Friday’s practice, however, Hackett said Rypien, who scored the majority of snaps in practice this week, would start Sunday when the Broncos (3-10) host Arizona (4-9).

The Cardinals will also start their backup, Colt McCoy, with starter Kyler Murray sidelined by a right knee cruciate ligament injury he sustained last week.

“Russell Wilson passed concussion protocol,” Hackett said. “…As an organization, we decided to give him one more week to be ready to face the Los Angeles Rams on Christmas Day.”

Hackett had been saying all week that the organization’s top concern was Wilson’s health, so the move wasn’t entirely unexpected.

Wilson has missed just four games in his 11-year NFL career, three last season in Seattle when he broke a finger on his throwing hand and one earlier this season with a muscle strain.

“Russ is one of our biggest competitors in this game. He’s amazing,” Hackett said. “We informed him of the decision. He’s not happy with it. He wants to be out there and play. He’s very, very competitive as we all know and he wants to compete for this team and be out there.”

“And we as an organization, after debating and talking all week, have decided that it’s best for our organization, it’s best for Russell. And we’ve talked about it top to bottom,” Hackett said. “So we looked at everything and just want to give him another week to get ready. We are very confident in ‘Ryp’ and very excited for ‘Ryp’ and this opportunity.”

Rypien has made two career starts, both against the New York Jets, whom he defeated in 2020 and lost to on Oct. 23 when Wilson was sidelined.

Wilson’s difficult first season in Denver includes just 11 touchdown passes — three of which came last week before he injured himself early in the fourth quarter — and 43 sacks after signing a $245 million preseason deal, the one Signing bonus of $50 million included his salary this season of $57 million.

Wilson’s acquisition cost the Broncos four premium draft picks, including their 2023 first-round pick. With Denver’s unexpected struggles this year, Seattle faces the second overall pick in the NFL draft next April.

Also ruled out Friday were receivers Courtland Sutton and Kendall Hinton, who are among a string of Broncos who have pulled hamstrings.

https://www.king5.com/article/sports/nfl/broncos-rule-out-russell-wilson-for-cardinals-game-sunday/281-45340c49-e16a-4680-8a7d-a7abe149d43b Broncos rule out Russell Wilson for Cardinals game Sunday

Emma Bowman

USTimesPost.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@ustimespost.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button