Buffalo Killer Was Investigated For Making Death Threats Less Than a Year Before Tops Market Massacre

Less than a year before his arrest after shooting and killing 10 people in a racist attack at a grocery store in Buffalo, New York, in the Black neighborhood, 18-year-old Payton Gendron, was investigated for making threats. High school.

Last June, when he was 17, Gendron made what the school classifies as a “general threat”, prompting state police to be called in for a mental health assessment at a hospital. New York Governor Kathy Hochul told Buffalo WKSE-FM radio that Gendron talked about the murder and suicide when a teacher asked about his plan after school ended and it was quickly reported. but the threat is not considered “specific enough” to make. than. New York State Police said on Monday that no requests had been made to remove any firearms from Gendron’s home. Gendron has pleaded not guilty despite live-streaming the massacre and his attorney declined to comment to the media.

New York has “red flags” laws that keep guns away from people who might harm themselves or others, but Gendron can still legally buy an AR-15-style rifle because he passed the test. background.

The revelations are raising new questions about why the law was not invoked when Gendron was reported, and the effectiveness of the “red flag legislation” passed in 19 states and the District of Columbia may vary based on how they are implemented. Also known as a high-risk protection order, red flag laws aim to temporarily take guns away from potentially violent offenders, often for up to a year. In many cases, family members or law enforcement have to ask the court for an order, although New York is a rare state where educators can also initiate the process.

Had Gendron’s case been properly managed, it’s unlikely he would have been able to purchase the Bushmaster assault weapon that was sold to him at a gun store upstate New York. Agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) obtained paperwork from the sale.

https://hillreporter.com/buffalo-killer-was-investigated-for-making-death-threats-less-than-a-year-before-tops-market-massacre-131687 Buffalo Killer Was Investigated For Making Death Threats Less Than a Year Before Tops Market Massacre

Alley Einstein

USTimesPost.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@ustimespost.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button