Ibrahim took over the kitchen in Canlis in May 2021. #newdaymw
The first chef at the famous Canlis restaurant has been there for a little over a year. Aisha Ibrahim is a Filipino woman, an immigrant whose family is Muslim, and she is gay.
Since moving to Seattle, she said the LGBTQ+ community here is amazing, unlike where she grew up in West Virginia, which wasn’t a very diverse place.
Ibrahim took to the show to share one of her mother’s recipes for an eggplant omelet with Chinese eggplant. Her mother often ate this dish when she was pregnant and made it for her daughter for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Now it’s one of Ibrahim’s favorite dishes.
- 1 eggplant
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp water
- Large pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp butter
1. Place the eggplant directly over the gas burner and char the skin.
2. Once charred, transfer to a metal bowl and cover with foil or plastic wrap to allow the eggplants to steam on their own.
3. While the eggplants are resting, whisk together the egg, yolk, water and salt in a bowl and set aside
4. After the eggplant has cooled slightly, use a pairing knife to peel the charred skin off the eggplant
5. Put butter in a pan and toss until it starts to brown
6. Dip the eggplants in the egg mixture (like French toast) and add to the pan and cook over medium-high heat. At this point, you can add as much of the egg mixture to the pan as you like.
7. The egg should be slightly fluffy and golden brown on the outside. Once you get that color, turn it over to finish cooking and remove it from the heat.
Chef Aisha eats this at home over rice and a mixture of soy sauce and citrus juice or vinegar.
Segment producer Joseph Suttner. Watch New Day Northwest at 11am on weekdays KING 5 and live streaming at KING5.com. Contact New Day.
https://www.king5.com/article/entertainment/television/programs/new-day-northwest/canlis-chef-aisha-ibrahim-celebrates-being-part-of-the-lgbtq-community/281-7260f5d3-96a4-428c-af00-f9cda6e17462 Canlis chef Aisha Ibrahim celebrates being part of the LGBTQ+ community