The summer transfer window is here, and there’s plenty of gossip swirling about who’s moving where. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumours, comings and goings and, of course, done deals!
TOP STORY: Pavard wanted by Chelsea, Juve, Atleti
Bayern Munich defender Benjamin Pavard is attracting interest from Chelsea and other big clubs across Europe, reveals Sky Sports Germany.
With Antonio Rudiger and Andreas Christensen leaving for Real Madrid and Barcelona respectively, Chelsea are among the clubs in queue for Pavard’s signature. However, Thomas Tuchel’s side will face competition from Juventus and Atletico Madrid, who are also linked with the 26-year-old France international.
After Julian Nagelsmann’s side signed Noussair Mazraoui on a free transfer this summer, they are now willing to allow Pavard to leave. He made 25 league appearances last season at both full-back and centre-back.
Pavard’s contract has two years remaining on it, and while talks are yet to enter an advanced stage, it is believed that could change if Bayern complete a move for Juventus centre-back Matthijs de Ligt, who they have been strongly linked with … along with Chelsea.
– Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN+ (U.S. only)
– Don’t have ESPN? Get instant access
16.18 BST: Liverpool are one of the Premier League clubs interested in Freiburg winger Kevin Schade, NTV reports.
Schade, 20, scored four goals in 21 Bundesliga matches last season, although his season ended in early March through injury. He has also scored three goals in four appearances for Germany’s U21 side.
According to NTV, Brentford have already had a €15m bid rejected for Schade, while Liverpool remain interested but are yet to table an offer.
15.44 BST: Newcastle United have made their fourth permanent signing of the summer by bringing in defender Charlie McArthur from Kilmarnock.
McArthur, 17, captained Scotland recently at the European Under-17 Championship in Israel.
The centre-back joins Matt Targett, Nick Pope and Sven Botman in sealing permanent transfers to St James’ Park this summer.
Welcome to Newcastle United, Charlie! ⚫️⚪️
— Newcastle United FC (@NUFC) July 6, 2022
14.57 BST: Inter Miami CF is finalizing a deal to acquire Toronto FC midfielder and former MLS MVP Alejandro Pozuelo in exchange for $150,000 in allocation money, a source has confirmed to ESPN’s Jeff Carlisle.
he trade has been linked to another reported transaction, that of Toronto acquiring Italian international Federico Bernardeschi, who is available on a free transfer after his contract with Italian Serie A side Juventus expired. That move was first reported by Toronto-based journalist Michael Singh.
Outwardly, the move looks to be an astute piece of business for Miami, who are still feeling the effects of league sanctions handed down last season for violating the league’s roster rules, which included having two more Designated Players on their roster than was allowed. The penalties included having its bucket of allocation money reduced by $2.27m over the course of two seasons.
Yet Miami still acquired the 2020 MLS MVP for a bargain price, though his current contract expires at the end of this season. This means Miami may end up having the Spaniard on its books for just half a season, though there is nothing stopping the two parties from agreeing on a new deal.
For now, the expectation is that Pozuelo will mesh well with forward Leonardo Campana, whose eight goals have him tied for seventh in the league.
– MLS on ESPN+: Stream LIVE games, replays (U.S.)
14.21 BST: Barcelona president Joan Laporta has again said the club wish to keep Frenkie de Jong, despite continuing to negotiate his possible departure with Manchester United.
ESPN reported last week that Barca and United had reached an agreement over a transfer worth an initial €65m rising to €85m, although the make-up of the add-ons remained a source of discussion.
However, Laporta said on Saturday that he would do all he could to retain De Jong’s services, and he repeated the same message at the presentation of new signing Franck Kessie on Wednesday.
“Frenkie is a Barcelona player and, save there was the need to let him go him, he is not available,” Laporta said.
“We do not want to sell him. There are offers for him and if at any moment it was in our interests, we could do a deal, but that is not the case. We don’t want to sell him.”
13.52 BST: Toni Kroos has said he’s “not stressed” about having just one year left on his contract at Real Madrid, with reports the Germany midfielder will see how he performs this season before taking a decision on his future.
Kroos, 32, kept his place as a starter last year as Madrid won a Champions League and LaLiga double, but came under pressure from youngsters Eduardo Camavinga and Fede Valverde, while the club have added Aurelien Tchouameni to their midfield roster this summer.
“I’m not stressed at all,” he told Germany’s NTV. “I still have a year’s contract at Madrid… I’m still having fun, there’s no pressure at all to have to decide that today.”
13.13 BST: Mexico midfielder Hector Herrera has said that he left Atletico Madrid for Houston Dynamo because he wanted greater playing opportunities before the World Cup in Qatar.
Herrera, 32, joined Houston on a Designated Player deal this summer after his contract with Atletico expired. In an interview with ESPN’s Futbol Americas show, the 32-year-old said he had “options” in Europe as well as Major League Soccer before moving to Houston, but chose the U.S. as he wanted to give his best years to the league.
“If I’d stayed at Atletico Madrid like in the last months when I didn’t play as much, people would have said ‘Why did you stay at Atletico Madrid if you’re not playing if you’re going to arrive at the World Cup with little rhythm?’,” Herrera said. “Here it’s a new team, I’ve got the opportunity to compete for a place, to be able to arrive at the World Cup with better rhythm.
“I think at this moment I can offer the best of myself for the team, for the league, and not in a couple of years when maybe I can’t move.”
– Futbol Americas on ESPN+: MLS, Liga MX, USMNT, El Tri (U.S.)
12.37 BST: Neymar still has a future at Paris Saint-Germain, according to the club’s new coach Christophe Galtier.
Galtier was presented as the new boss at Parc des Princes on Tuesday following the sacking of Mauricio Pochettino, and he was clear on his stance when it came to the Brazil international.
He told a news conference “Neymar is a world class player, what coach wouldn’t want that player in their team?”
“Of course, you have to have a balance, but I’m clear on what I want from him and I’m sure he’ll stay with us. We want the best people here.”
Sources have told ESPN’s Julien Laurens that Neymar is considering leaving PSG this summer after finding out the club are happy for him to depart.
– Ogden: Neymar is the superstar no club seems to want
11.54 BST: Ajax left-back Nicolas Tagliafico has been linked with Barcelona by Mundo Deportivo as the Catalan club seek competition for Jordi Alba.
Chelsea’s Marcos Alonso is Barca’s first choice, but Tagliafico is a lower-cost alternative to the Spain international.
Tagliafico, 29, was of interest to Barca in January but they could not reach an agreement with Ajax over a short-term deal.
With one year to run on his contract in Amsterdam, the Dutch side are thought to be willing to let him leave for around €5m in the current transfer window.
Sevilla have also been linked with the Argentina international, with the report claiming there is also Premier League interest.
11.28 BST: Jesse Lingard is set to travel to the United States to listen to pitches from Major League Soccer teams keen to sign the forward this summer, sources told ESPN’s Rob Dawson.
Lingard has left Manchester United a free agent and is being chased by Premier League clubs including West Ham and Everton. Two MLS sides are also interested and are set to meet the 29-year-old and his representatives to pitch what have been described as “ground-breaking” deals.
Lingard is yet to make a decision about his next move and is keeping his options open before choosing where he will play next season. The key consideration for the England international is regular playing time as he looks to force his way back into Gareth Southgate’s squad ahead of the World Cup in Qatar in November.
Lingard officially left Old Trafford at the end of June after making more than 200 appearances for his boyhood club, scoring 35 goals two of which came in the 2016 FA Cup final and 2017 League Cup final.
West Ham manager David Moyes remains a keen admirer after Lingard’s successful loan spell at the London Stadium in 2021 when he scored nine goals in 16 games.
Everton boss Frank Lampard has also registered his interest while Barcelona and AC Milan were in touch earlier in the summer.
11.06 BST: AC Milan are in talks with Atletico Madrid to sign Brazilian striker Marcos Paulo, Globoesporte reports.
Paulo, 21, played 20 games while on loan at Portuguese club Famalicao from Atletico last season.
Milan have reportedly made a first offer to Atletico for Paulo, who is under contract with Atletico through June 2027 and has a Portuguese passport, but talks are ongoing.
10.43 BST: Real Madrid are set to save €30m in wages thanks to the deal that will see Luka Jovic join Fiorentina on a free transfer, Marca reports.
The newspaper says that the move “may not be ideal from a financial point of view” — Madrid paid a €60m fee to sign the Serbia international, who has failed to adjust to life in LaLiga, just three years ago — but says the club have tried to find “the least painful solution possible.”
Madrid would receive half of a future transfer fee if Fiorentina, who have agreed a two-year deal with Jovic, decide to move the player on.
With Jovic set to leave, Diario AS reports that Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti is backing Borja Mayoral to act as Karim Benzema’s deputy at centre forward this season.
Mayoral, 25, has spent the last four seasons on loan at Levante, Roma and Getafe and impressed during that time, scoring 10 goals for Roma in Serie A in 2020-21 and helping Getafe secure LaLiga survival with six goals in just 18 appearances last year.
According to AS, Ancelotti prefers Mayoral to Luka Jovic or Mariano Diaz as an alternative for when he needs to rest Benzema.
10.09 BST: Tottenham Hotspur forward Steven Bergwijn is due to have a medical in Amsterdam on Wednesday ahead of his proposed transfer to Ajax, sources have told ESPN.
Bergwijn, 24, joined Spurs from PSV Eindhoven in January 2020 but, despite scoring on his debut in a win over Manchester City, has never managed to secure a regular first-team place at the club, scoring eight goals in 83 games in all competitions.
He has, however, emerged as a key player for Netherlands, and he is set to join his hometown team in a €30m transfer in thr run-up to the 2022 World Cup, which begins in November.
09.42 BST: Manchester United completed the signing of Netherlands left-back Tyrell Malacia on Tuesday. The 22-year-old joins from Feyenoord and has signed a four-year-deal with the option of another year. The deal is set to cost United £13m plus add-ons.
Malacia is the first arrival under new manager Erik ten Hag, but it’s clear he has been scouted and on the radar for some time. How will the defender adapt to the Premier League?
– Karlsen: What Man United United fans can expect from Malacia
09.00 BST: Newcastle United are intensifying talks to sign teenage striker Angelo of Santos, according to Globoesporte.
Newcastle’s head of recruitment, Steve Nickson, recently travelled to Brazil to watch Angelo in action in the 2-1 loss to Flamengo to find out what fee Santos wanted for the 17-year-old sensation.
Newcastle are prepared to pay €20m for Angelo, a fee that is considered low by Santos, don’t want to see Angelo leave in this transfer window.
Angelo joined Santos’ first team last year and has made seven league appearances for the Peixe this season.
– AC Milan have identified Abdou Diallo as an alternative after seeing Sven Botman move from Lille to Newcastle United, according to Fabrizio Romano’s “Here We Go” podcast. The 26-year-old Paris Saint-Germain defender made 12 appearances last season, and reported to be a target for the Rossoneri, who have parted ways with Alessio Romagnoli after he failed to renew his contract at the San Siro.
– Sport reveals that Real Madrid are considering making a move for Serge Gnabry if Marco Asensio leaves this summer. The 26-year-old forward has made little progress so far over a new deal, and he will be out of contract next June. A transfer fee of around €40m has been suggested. The Bundesliga side haven’t given up yet on renewing the Germany international’s contract, after he contributed to 19 goals in 34 games last season. He has also been linked with Man City and Man United.
– Defender Joao Moutinho has received offers from Europe after failing to reach an agreement with the Orlando City SC, writes journalist Ekrem Konur. The 24-year-old is reported to be on the radar of both Toulouse and Venezia, and his preference is to return to Europe after he featured 16 times in Major League Soccer this season.
– Southampton have entered negotiations to sign Rangers forward Joe Aribo, reports The Athletic. The 25-year-old has a release clause of €10m and is keen to make the switch to St. Mary’s Stadium to play in the Premier League. Aribo was a standout performer for Giovanni van Bronckhorst’s side last season, with 13 goal contributions in the Scottish Premiership, while he also got on the scoresheet in the Europa League final as Rangers were edged out on penalties by Eintracht Frankfurt.
– Zlatan Ibrahimovic is set to extend his stay at AC Milan until 2023, reveals Gianluca Di Marzio. The 40-year-old striker remained in impressive form last season, scoring eight goals from 23 starts, though a knee injury he sustained at the end of the Serie A campaign is set to keep him out of action for around six months. He has agreed to take a salary reduction as part of his new deal.
https://www.espn.com/soccer/blog-transfer-talk/story/4695201/transfer-talk-chelseajuventusatletico-madrid-keen-on-bayern-munichs-benjamin-pavard Chelsea, Juventus, Atletico Madrid keen on Bayern Munich’s Benjamin Pavard