The fire started Tuesday morning at an old cold storage facility in Puyallup.
PUYALLUP, Wash – Train service in Puyallup has been suspended following a second-degree fire at an abandoned building Tuesday morning, the Puyallup Police Department confirmed.
The fire started at old cold storage at 15 SE and East Pioneer.
Some roads were also closed due to the fire. 15 SE is closed between East Main and East Pioneer, and East Pioneer is closed between State Route 512 and 21st Street SE.
Puyallup Police said rail service may take a long time At least until early afternoon.
>> Download KING 5+, our new Roku and Amazon Fire app to watch live TV 24/7
It’s not clear how the fire started but Puyallup PD said this business did too. there was a big fire many years ago.
Captain Darrin Shaw of Central Pierce Fire & Rescue at the time said the building contained 1,000 pounds of a refrigerant called anhydrous ammonia. Anhydrous ammonia is lighter than air, so the teams allow the chemical to burn and get into the atmosphere instead of weighing it down with water, which will then “cover the community,” Shaw said.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, anhydrous ammonia is a colorless gas or liquid that can cause breathing difficulties, burns, blisters, and death if inhaled in high concentrations.
According to a statement from the company, the 100,000 square foot building is considered total damage following the 2021 fire. There were no employees in the building at the time.
This is an evolving story. Check back for updates.
Download our free KING 5 app for news updates from across western Washington.