Prince Harry and Meghan have not accepted British TV presenter Jeremy Clarkson’s public apology for a hit song he wrote about the Duchess of Sussex.
In a statement provided to the Guardian on Monday night, the royal couple said Clarkson had previously written “solely to Prince Harry” in a message “marked private and confidential” before he publicly tweeted on Instagram on Monday excused.
“While Mr Clarkson issued a new public apology today, his long-standing pattern of writing articles promoting hate rhetoric, dangerous conspiracy theories and misogyny remains to be addressed,” a spokesman for the Sussexes said.
“Unless all of his other pieces were also written ‘in a hurry,’ as he says, it is clear that this is not an isolated incident to be shared in a hurry, but rather a series of articles to be shared in hate.”
On Monday, Clarkson tried to buck “the trend” of failed apologies from public figures by posting what he called “a mea culpa with bells on” for his widely condemned column attacking the former Meghan Markle . In the December article, published in the Sun’s Opinion section, Clarkson explained that he despised the Duchess of Sussex “on a cellular level” and dreamed of a day when she would be forced to parade the streets “naked”. , while people threw feces at them.
“I’m really sorry. All the way from the balls of my feet to the follicles on my head,” Clarkson wrote in his statement Monday. “That’s me, I raise my hands.”
When it broke, Clarkson’s story sparked a firestorm on social media, sparking thousands of complaints to Britain’s press regulator IPSO. Amid a tidal wave of criticism, the Sun decided to remove the column from its website.
In his statement, Clarkson said he usually reads his work to someone else before submitting it, but “was home alone and in a rush on that fateful day,” so he “just hit send.”
“When the column showed up the next day, the land mine exploded,” he continued.
“It was a slow rumble at first and I ignored it. But then the rumble grew louder. So I grabbed an issue of The Sun to see what all the fuss was about. … I couldn’t believe what I read. Did I really say that? It was terrible.”
This isn’t the first time Clarkson has addressed the backlash over his anti-Meghan tirade. Shortly after the story broke, the network tweeted that it had “set foot in the game” with “a clumsy reference to a scene in Game of Thrones” and promised to be “more careful going forward.” (He appeared to be referring to Cersei Lannister’s infamous Walk of Shame on Season 5 of the HBO drama.)
“I was thinking of a scene in Game of Thrones, but I forgot to mention it,” Clarkson reiterated Monday.
“So it looked like I was actually calling for despicable violence to be rained down on Meghan’s head. … I’m just not sexist and I abhor violence against women. And yet I seemed to advocate just that. I was embarrassed and so was everyone else.”
Clarkson also claimed that – contrary to what the Sussexes say – he emailed both Harry and Meghan on Christmas morning to apologize for the ‘disgraceful’ language in his article. In an interview last week with CNN’s Anderson Cooper, Harry said he was shocked but not surprised by the column and thanked Clarkson for “proving our point” regarding the media’s unfair treatment of his wife.
“Can I continue now? I’m not sure,” Clarkson concluded his recent apology. “But I promise you I’ll try.”
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/story/2023-01-17/prince-harry-meghan-markle-jeremy-clarkson-apology-sun-column Harry and Meghan reject Jeremy Clarkson’s apology for Sun story