Britons going on holiday have been warned of a “ticking time bomb” on the Spanish beach that a dangerous shipwreck could turn into a “dead zone”.
The situation at Mallorca’s popular Port de Pollensa hotspot has been described as “sensitive” after fuel leaks were discovered from a ship sunken in the bay.
Port de Pollensa Municipality confirmed the spill was severe on Friday and Saturdaycaused the breach of the protective barrier.
The leak site is near the yacht club, a stone’s throw from the beach.
Pollença Town Hall Environment Councilor Steffy Pozo admitted the situation was “sensitive” and shared this El Diario de Mallorca She has spent hours grappling with the problem.
She explained, “At the moment we haven’t located the owner to whom we need to make a liability removal request.”
She added that she plans to meet local residents later in the week to try to identify the owner of the boat.
She confirmed that no oil was currently spilled, but acknowledged that the ship had started leaking fuel on Friday after the barrier was released.
She said: “A sailor assured that he had seen the oil spill,” then added that “the risk is still there” and the barriers are “not the final solution”.
The ship, which marine conservation organization Arrels Marines said had “been anchored illegally for years,” sank in the bay last month.
The group tweeted, “This ship was anchored illegally for years and Costes didn’t bother.”
“Then ecological catastrophes happen: the oils and diesel from this boat contribute to the pollution of our waters.”
The marine conservation group had previously sounded the alarm about the worrying situation in the bay, calling it a “dead zone”.
A Report on the environmental status of water bodies Last year it was found that part of the problem of increasing pollution was “excessive pressure from boats”.
While the contamination shouldn’t have reached the beach, Pozo said the Moll Residents Association has claimed that “some tourists have complained of a strong odor.”.”
But it turned out to be a false alarm, emergency services and so onconfirmed as well as the staff of the yacht club.
It’s not the first time that illegal docking in the harbor has caused problems in the bay.
An emergency response was launched last month after two boats ran out of fuel and a jet ski sank.
A red flag was raised when school children who were on Albercuix beach at the time had to run out of the water.
That’s what the city’s mayor, Tomeu Cifre, saidBulletin that it could be a “mooring manoeuvre”.
He said: “There are people who issue buoys and demand that they be moored.”
“When we arrived, it turned out that the ships had sunk. They had open fuel andcaps.”
This comes at a time when another popular holiday destination has been described as a “ticking time bomb” amid fears of toxic waste ending up in the sea.
Local activists told The Sun Online that the beautiful Greek destination of Santorini is “heading for disaster” amid a major row over a disintegrating shipwreck.
Beauty spot Shipwreck – or Navagio in Zante – has also been closed for fear of its crumbling cliffs collapsing.