Since the Internet is the fastest way to connect with people, it’s more important than ever to have the fastest connection possible. Fast internet ensures that you enjoy lag-free streaming and instant downloads.
Hence, these are the different changes you can make to increase internet speed in Windows 11.
What causes slow Internet connection?
There can be many reasons why you are experiencing low connectivity on Windows 11. But among all, some common culprits are listed below.
- One of the important reasons behind slow connection is bad router location.
- Slow Internet connection can be caused by misconfigured bandwidth.
- Unnecessary tabs and apps that are open in the background can also cause problems.
- VPNs are often the main culprit for slow internet connections.
It is quite easy to increase internet speed on Windows 11. Let’s see how.
1. Update to the latest Windows Update
Before making any of the changes below, make sure you’re using an up-to-date system. Each Windows update comes with performance improvements and may affect internet connectivity.
Here’s how to download the latest Windows 11 update.
- Open Setting use Win + I.
- Choose Windows Update from the left pane.
- Click Check for updates.
- Windows will search for and download any available updates.
After updating the system, check if the internet speed is improved.
2. Change router location
Poor router location is another culprit for slow Internet connections. The range of a Wi-Fi signal depends on the specifications and design of the router. But the further the signal has to travel, the weaker it will be. In addition, signal strength can be affected by physical objects such as walls and floors.
So make sure the system is close to the router and that no large obstructions exist between the source and the receiver.
3. Close unnecessary background apps
Slow internet speed is usually caused by unnecessary background applications. As it turns out, these apps are constantly hogging bandwidth, leaving the main app with limited resources. You will have to close all such apps to fix the problem.
Here’s how to do it.
- Open Workflow management use Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
- Switch to Performance navigation.
- Click Open resource monitor.
- In the Resource Monitor window, switch to Network navigation.
- Look for services that are consuming the maximum bandwidth per second.
- Right click on the services and select End of process.
Check if the internet speed is improved or not.
4. Turn off the measured connection
Windows 11 comes with metered connectivity functionality. It helps to save internet data. But on the negative side, it can be a major reason behind slow internet connection. You will have to disable the meter connection on Windows 11 to increase the speed.
Here’s how to do it.
- Open Settings on your system.
- Choose Internet from the left panel.
- Click WIFI.
- Click your Wi-Fi connection.
- Turn off the side switch Connectivity is measured.
Restart the system and check if the internet speed is improved or not.
5. Change DNS Server
By default, DNS Server is set to automatic, which can be the reason for slow internet connection. You will have to connect to an open source DNS server to enjoy fast internet speeds.
Here are the steps to change the DNS server on Windows 11.
- Open Run usage dialog Win + CHEAP hot keys.
- Type Dashboard and click OK.
- Choose Network and Internet.
- Click network and sharing center.
- Click Change adapter configuration from the left pane.
- Right click on the connected network and select Nature.
- Double click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4).
- Click Use the following IP address news.
- enter 184.108.40.206 inside Preferred dns server and 220.127.116.11 inside Alternate DNS server.
- Click OK to save the changes.
Reboot the system and test internet speed using internet speed test website.
6. Change the bandwidth limit that can be reserved
On Windows, 20% of internet bandwidth is spent on Windows related services, while the rest, 80%, is used for general tasks. But you can change the bandwidth to increase internet speed.
Here’s how to do it.
- Open the Run dialog box.
- Type gpedit.msc and click OK.
- Choose administrative form Below Local computer policy.
- Open Network folder.
- Double click Service quality package scheduling program.
- Right click on Presetable bandwidth limit and choose Editor from the context menu.
- Click Enabled.
- Change the Bandwidth limit according to your convenience. We recommend keeping the limit below 90%.
- Click Apply > OK.
7. Disable Windows Update Service
Windows constantly searches for and downloads new operating system updates. But while Windows Update is being downloaded in the background, it can directly affect internet speed for general tasks. You will have to disable the Windows Update services in this case.
Here are the steps to disable the Windows Update service.
- Open the Run dialog box and enter service.msc and press Enter.
- Locate Windows Update service.
- Right click on the Windows Update service and select Nature from the context menu.
- Change Start-up type arrive Disable.
- Click Stop Under Service Status.
- Click Apply > OK to save the changes.
8. Clear DNS Cache
Corrupt DNS cache can also lead to a weak Internet connection. You will have to clear the DNS cache to fix the problem.
Here’s how to clear the DNS cache on Windows 11.
- Open Command Prompt in administrator mode.
- Type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.
- You will see the message – Configure Windows IP. Successfully cleared DNS Resolution Cache.
- Close the Command Prompt window.
Restart the system and check the connection.
9. Temporarily Disable Windows Defender Firewall
Sometimes Windows Defender Firewall is also the reason why you experience slow Internet connection. You will have to temporarily disable the Firewall to fix the problem.
Here’s how to do it.
- Open Start Menutype Windows Security and press Enter.
- Choose Firewall and network protection from the left panel.
- Click Private network.
- Turn off the toggle below Microsoft Defender Firewall.
Enjoy High Internet Speeds on Windows 11
High Internet speed allows you to download content within seconds and enjoy uninterrupted video calls. But if the internet speed is lower, you can make the changes mentioned above.
6 Tips to improve the speed of your Powerline network
About the author
https://www.makeuseof.com/windows-11-increase-internet-speed/ How to Increase Internet Speed in Windows 11