Huw Edwards’ wife released a statement on Wednesday confirming Edwards was the elusive “BBC host” being investigated over an alleged sexting scandal.
Last week, said the BBC She took allegations that one of her moderators had paid a 17-year-old for explicit pictures “very seriously”. The sun first reported on the allegations against a “well-known” BBC presenter, who has not been named due to UK data protection laws.
This lack of identity sparked rumors and accusations, with some BBC presenters becoming the subject of speculation. Several people immediately issued statements denying they were the person in question.
Rylan Clarkwho films abroad for the BBC, tweeted: “I don’t know why my names are out but this story is out in the sun – it’s not me baby.” I’m filming a show in Italy for the BBC right now, so tell you my name.”
Gary Lineker tweeted that he hated disappointing any “haters” but the moderator in question wasn’t him either.
Jeremy Vine also defended his innocence. tweet“I just want to say I’m really looking forward to hosting my radio show on Monday – whoever the ‘BBC host’ is on the news, I have the same message for you as Rylan did before: I most certainly am not.” “
On Tuesday, Added grapevine“I’m starting to think the BBC presenter involved in the scandal should now speak out publicly. These new allegations will fuel even more hatred towards his totally innocent peers. And the BBC, who I’m sure he loves, goes down on it. But it is his sole decision.”
After days of public guessing as to who the mystery man behind the alleged crime might be: Huw Edwards released a statement about his wife, Vicky Flind. Edwards, 61, is the BBC Bulletin’s main nighttime presenter.
“In light of recent coverage of the ‘BBC presenter’, I am making this statement on behalf of my husband Huw Edwards after five extremely difficult days for our family,” Flind began.
“I’m doing this primarily out of concern for his spiritual well-being and to protect our children. Huw suffers from severe mental health problems. As is well documented, he has been treated for major depression in recent years.”
Flind went on to say that the situation had “deteriorated significantly” in recent days and that Edwards had “suffered another serious incident” and would be receiving inpatient hospital treatment “for the foreseeable future.” According to Flind, her husband plans to clear up the allegations against him sufficiently once to do so.
“Just to be clear, last Thursday Huw was first notified that allegations had been made against him. In these circumstances, and given Huw’s condition, I would ask that the privacy of my family and anyone else involved in these disturbing events be respected,” she added. “I know Huw deeply regrets that so many colleagues have been affected by the recent media speculation. We hope this statement puts an end to that.”
Claims against the well-known broadcaster that announced the death of Queen Elizabeth and reported during King Charles’ coronation collapsed last week The sun reported that the presenter had paid a young person more than $45,500 in exchange for explicit photos, beginning when the person was 17.
The mother of the alleged recipient told the Sun that she blamed the BBC presenter for destroying her child’s life and that the money was being used to help solve a drug problem.
“When I see him on TV, I get sick,” she told Edwards. “I’m taking my child’s innocence and handing over the money for crack cocaine that could kill my child.”
The mother later claimed that she saw Edwards on the teen’s phone, in a screenshot from a video call, in which the broadcaster can be seen “leaning forward and preparing for my child to perform for him.”
The BBC also published own statement: “We have seen the statement from the police confirming that they have completed their assessment and are not taking any further action.” We are grateful to them for completing this work in a timely manner. The police had previously asked us to put our investigative investigation on hold and we will now proceed with that work, ensuring due process and a thorough assessment of the facts, while recognizing our duty of care to all involved.”
However, the young person has his own advocate and a different point of view. The person’s lawyer called on Monday evening said the BBC that “nothing inappropriate” happened between the young person and Edwards.
“For the avoidance of doubt, nothing improper or illegal has taken place between our client and the BBC personality and the allegations reported in the Sun newspaper are nonsense,” the lawyer wrote, according to the BBC.
In a different twist, on Tuesday, another young person turned to the BBC with the allegation They met Edwards through a dating app and the host allegedly pressured them to meet up, which they never did. According to the BBC report, the 20-year-old also claimed she was sent “offensive, profanity-filled messages” when she suggested online they could name the presenter.
Edwards, who is married with five children, was suspended from the BBC on Sunday.