It has been claimed that HUW Edwards was already being scrutinized by BBC journalists before the alleged sex pic scandal.
The veteran news anchor, 61, was named by his wife last night as a star accused of sending a youngster more than £35,000 since he was 17.
Her statement came after The Sun revealed allegations by the teenager’s parents that their child had sent sexual photos to Edwards.
This was the first of five public allegations the 61-year-old has faced.
But insiders have now claimed that the BBC was already working on a story about Edwards’ inappropriate behavior before the release of that first story last week.
This was announced by two BBC sources meeting that Newsnight anchor Victoria Derbyshire has been on the subject “for a while” and has contacted several people about rumors of Edwards’ alleged behavior.
A third BBC source said Derbyshire had spoken to one person.
Other BBC insiders told Deadline it’s unusual for a news presenter to proactively engage with another BBC News presenter.
The Sun has reached out to the BBC for comment.
The news that the BBC is investigating allegations of Edwards’ behavior comes after Newsnight aired its findings on Wednesday night.
The Newsnight report came just hours after Edwards was named presenter, who had been suspended by the BBC after his identity was kept secret from mainstream media coverage for five days.
The BBC revealed Edwards has faced further allegations of inappropriate behavior – this time towards his younger TV peers.
Presenter Victoria Derbyshire tweeted that Edwards “faced further allegations of inappropriate behavior tonight which were reported on by BBC News and #Newsnight”.
The BBC has confirmed it is pursuing an investigation into serious allegations against the star, including paying thousands of pounds to a vulnerable teenager with a growing drug addiction.
The decision came after police yesterday said they had found no evidence Edwards had committed a crime.
Last night his wife, Vicky Flind, released a statement announcing that he had been accused.
She said her husband is now in “inpatient hospital treatment” after suffering a “serious incident”.
The mother said that it had been “five extremely difficult days for our family”.
Mrs Flind wrote of her husband: “I do this primarily out of concern for his spiritual well-being and to protect our children. Huw suffers from severe mental health problems.
“As is well documented, he has been treated for major depression in recent years.
“The events of the last few days have made the situation significantly worse. He has suffered another serious incident and is now being treated as an inpatient at the hospital, where he will remain for the foreseeable future.”
Ms Flind said the father-of-five will respond to the claims “as soon as it is good enough to do so”.
In the days after the first child’s family came forward to The Sun, the parents claimed they had taken action to protect their child.
This comes after the youth wrote a legal letter to the BBC insisting that nothing “unlawful” or “inappropriate” had happened between them and the presenter – which the youth did not deny knowing or receiving money from had.
The mum told The Sun last week: “It’s sad but we stand by our position and hope they get the help they need.”
“We did this to help – and the presenter got into her head. How could they afford a lawyer?
“We are so sad.”
The stepfather added: “We are disappointed that they have issued a statement. It is not true.”