A YOUNG woman feared for her life when her tattoo began to rot.
Suraya Khan was proud of the ink – which read “ALLONE” with a broken heart in the middle – until her skin started to “fall off”.
The 20-year-old has claimed it happened because the artist wasn’t hygienic.
She’s had tattoos before but decided on a different one because her usual artist was booked up and she was getting “impatient.”
Suraya shared that the tattoo on her skin was starting to rot – causing her arm to swell so much she could not move it.
A dripping abscess began to grow next to the tattoo as the scabs over the ink were torn from her bandages.
Eventually, the abscess “exploded” before “bleeding for seven straight hours.”
The retail worker from Doncaster, South Yorks, rushed to the emergency room after being warned the dodgy tattoo could cause sepsis – a life-threatening bloodstream infection.
She has since had it revised and taken to TikTok to share the ordeal and warn others.
Suraya wrote of a series of graphic images showing the development of the infection in her arm: “The tattoo became septic because the artist was unclean.
“My skin started falling off and becoming fleshy.
“My bandages ripped off all the scabs and it was oozing.
“Started getting an abscess on the side that kept leaking.
“Started to get bigger and bigger until I couldn’t move my arm and the tattoo rotted.
“While I was serving a customer, it exploded and bled for seven hours straight.
“Had to be taken to the ER as they told me I might have sepsis. I was told I had to be there in an hour because I had been leaving for weeks.
“Got bandaged after I drained it.”
You need to know the early warning signs of infection
Sepsis can be deadly, so it’s important to know the early warning signs of infection.
Experts from the Center for Disease Control (CDC) say there are early signs you might have an infection.
- confusion or disorientation,
- Shortness of breath,
- high heart rate,
- fever, chills or feeling very cold,
- extreme pain or discomfort and.
- moist or sweaty skin.
If you are concerned about any of your symptoms you should see a GP or call NHS 111. In an emergency, always call 999 or go to the nearest emergency room.
Suraya was put on a two-week course of antibiotics and had the tattoo redone six months later as the area had become blotchy from the infection scarring her arm.
People were shocked by their experience and took to the comments to weigh in.
One said: “I would have been to this hospital in a heartbeat when I saw all the holes in my tattoo.
“I’m so sorry girl.”
A second wrote: “This is one of my biggest fears even though my tattoo artist is awesome.”
Claudio Traina, an artist at Sixty Ink in London, previously told Sun Health that there are many risks of getting inked, from nasty infections to allergic reactions.
Before you sign up for a tattoo, check out the salon and check out online reviews, Claudio said.
The expert added that this is key as another way tattoos can often go wrong is due to an unsafe and unsanitary tattoo area, space and tools.
If you want to get inked, Claudio said it’s important to look for a clean and safe place.
Alongside this, it’s also important to look at each artist’s technique and skill, as this can affect how quickly your tattoo heals, he said.
“A good indicator of this is inspection of the tattoo area,” he added.
“As soon as the station is set up – which is usually the case when you are led to the tattoo area – make sure that the beds, machine, stations etc. are completely covered or wrapped in cling film or cellophane.
“Unfortunately, but definitely important, make sure your artist opens a new needle. It might seem like common sense, but you’d be surprised,” he said.
https://www.the-sun.com/health/7429105/tattoo-dodgy-sepsis-rot-arm/ I got a tattoo done by a dodgy artist and it started to rot in my arm – I could have died