I’ve lived in my house for 70 years but now the council want to kick me out – here’s why I’m going NOWHERE

A PENSIONER has lived in his house for 70 years – but now the council wants to kick him out.

Ken May, 69, from Wardley near Newcastle, said he is going nowhere after Gateshead Council slapped him with an eviction notice.

Ken May has been slapped with an eviction


Ken May has been slapped with an evictionCredit: NCJMedia
He was told to clear up mess outside his council house


He was told to clear up mess outside his council houseCredit: NCJMedia

The retired merchant seaman has lived in the council house since 1955, but is now in the “last chance saloon”.

He has previously been ordered to reconnect it to the electricity grid instead of using a petrol generator – and to clear up the rubbish strewn around the home.

Ken won a temporary reprieve when he challenged the eviction in May, but has now had his appeal dismissed.

ChronicleLive reports that a district judge at Gateshead County Court said there were “no grounds” for the eviction to be overturned.

The court heard claims that Ken refused to let council officials into his home for an inspection.

He was allegedly told that he was in the “last chance saloon” after he got the temporary reprieve in May – before the stand-off at his home.

Ken did not attend the court hearing, but argued in written submissions that he had a right to occupy the property under UK law.

The OAP slammed Gateshead Council’s “sustained and deliberate refusal” to recognise his rights – and what he called its “blatant disregard for the law”.

District Judge Charnock-Neal said: “Yes, there is a right to respect for private life for him.

“There is to be no interference by a local authority or any other public authority – except in accordance with the law and where it is necessary for the protection of others.

“The warrant is because the defendant is not allowing access for inspection or safety checks to the property, which is a requirement under the terms and conditions of the tenancy agreement.

“There is a requirement that safety checks are carried out and that the property is inspected to ensure that it is being used lawfully and maintained in a good condition.”

The judge also ordered Ken to pay the council a £131 warrant fee by August 8.

Gateshead Council is yet to set a date for the planned eviction.


Citizens Advice says that your council or housing association has to follow a strict process if they want to evict you.

Your landlord will need to give you a written notice explaining why you are being asked to leave – and when they want you to leave.

If you don’t comply with the notice, they will need to go to court to argue for a “possession order”.

If they get the order, bailiffs will be sent to your home to evict you and your family.

But you can challenge the eviction if you want to stay in your home – especially if you think your landlord is discriminating against you.

Get in touch with your local Citizens Advice bureau if you want to launch a challenge.

Russell Falcon

Russell Falcon is a USTimesPost U.S. News Reporter based in London. His focus is on U.S. politics and the environment. He has covered climate change extensively, as well as healthcare and crime. Russell Falcon joined USTimesPost in 2023 from the Daily Express and previously worked for Chemist and Druggist and the Jewish Chronicle. He is a graduate of Cambridge University. Languages: English. You can get in touch with me by emailing russellfalcon@ustimespost.com.

Related Articles

Back to top button