Jennifer Hudson has followed in Drew Barrymore’s footsteps and reversed her decision to continue filming her talk show amid the ongoing writers’ strike.
Last week (September 11th) the Unkissed star announced this The Drew Barrymore Showwould resume production on the fourth season.
This was a violation of the Writers Guild of America (WGA)’s current strike, as their chat show is a “WGA-covered canceled show.”
The Jennifer Hudson Showalong with a number of other talk shows including The conversationthen followed their example and announced their return.
Barrymore was widely criticized for her decision to restart the show. Her co-writer Cristina Kinon said that by resuming her show, Barrymore would be “prolonging the strike.”
The 48-year-old shared a video on Friday (September 15) in which she tearfully apologized for her decision. She later deleted the video.
On Sunday (September 17), Barrymore said she “listened to everyone” and that too The Drew Barrymore Show would remain “paused” until the strike ends.
diversity is now reporting that Hudson’s syndicated talk show has also paused production and postponed its originally planned premiere date due to backlash.
CBS has also confirmed this chat show The conversation won’t come back either. “The Talk is interrupting its season premiere scheduled for September 18th. “We will continue to review plans for a new start date,” a spokesperson said.
After Barrymore announced she was resuming her show, WGA members began picketing her New York production studio.
In her original apology video, which she posted on Friday (September 15) before it was deleted, Barrymore told her followers: “I don’t think there’s anything I can do or say at this moment to make everything right.” I know there’s just nothing I can do to make this okay for those it’s not okay for. I fully accept that. I completely understand that.
“I have been through so many ups and downs in my life and this is one of them. I deeply apologize to the writers, I deeply apologize to the unions, I deeply apologize.”
Barrymore later deleted the video along with her original post announcing plans to revive the show.
Then on Sunday she announced that she was reversing that plan. Barrymore wrote on Instagram: “I have listened to everyone and am making the decision to pause the premiere of the show until the strike is over.
“I don’t have the words to sincerely apologize to everyone I hurt and of course to our incredible team who work on the show and made it what it is today.”