Actor Jonathan Majors appeared in a Manhattan courtroom on Tuesday morning for a hearing that lasted about three minutes and led to his August 3 domestic violence case going to trial.
Majors, 33, is being charged with misdemeanor offenses, including assault, in connection with an alleged confrontation in New York City in March. His accuser claims the Marvel star pulled her finger, twisted her arm behind her back, slapped her in the face with his open hand and injured her ear. She also alleges that majors pushed her into a vehicle, causing her to fall backwards during the altercation.
According to New York City police, the 30-year-old woman was treated at a hospital after the incident for minor head and neck injuries.
Priya Chaudhry, attorney for the Majors, told the Times on Tuesday that she had presented the Manhattan District Attorney with “convincing” evidence that the accuser, who was not named in the court filings, assaulted Majors, “rather than the other way around.” “ ”
Chaudhry said the evidence includes videos of the incident in question, as well as photos showing Major’s injuries and his torn clothing.
According to the Associated PressNew York Criminal Court Judge Rachel Pauley wished the actor “good luck” as he plans his trial. She added that a protective order requiring majors to stay away from the accuser remains in place.
“Yes ma’am,” Majors said along with his attorneys outside Pauley’s bank.
If convicted, the actor faces up to a year in prison.
Tuesday’s hearing marked Majors’ first physical appearance in court after he appeared virtually at a hearing last month when prosecutors said they would amend the assault charge to reflect the accuser’s account of the alleged events. The original version used a police officer’s report, which included an allegation of strangulation among the injuries.
According to the AP, the actor waited in the courtroom Tuesday with his lawyers and his girlfriend Meagan Good, who stars in the series Shazam!, for his case to be heard. movies. He was carrying a poetry diary and his personal Bible, and was wearing a brown suit.
Charges against two men in unrelated domestic violence cases were dismissed while the majors waited to be seen by the judge. His attorney urged prosecutors to do the same for the actor and file charges against his accuser instead.
In lieu of a decision, Chaudhry also called for Major’s case to go to trial as soon as possible.
Chaudhry had previously accused the district attorney of rigging cases, calling the allegations by Majors a “witch hunt” against the actor that “illustrates the racial bias that pervades the criminal justice system.”
Before Majors’ trial was set for August, the judge issued a sealed decision that prompted Chaudhry to withdraw court documents she had filed against the case, the AP reported. Pauley presented copies of her verdict to the majors’ attorneys and prosecutors, but remained silent on the details in open court.
Majors is a rising star, starring in recent blockbusters such as Creed III and Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania. He also played the role of Atticus Freeman in HBO’s 2020 horror limited series Lovecraft Country and hosted Saturday Night Live in late 2021.
But after his arrest, the consequences for the actor quickly came.
On April 17th meeting reported that the actor has been fired from his talent management firm Entertainment 360 and PR firm Lede Company. The US Army stopped television commercials featuring him, saying it was “deeply concerned” by the allegations.
Last month, Disney pushed back the actor’s upcoming Marvel film, Avengers: The Kang Dynasty, from May 2025 to May 2026.
In April, diversity reported, citing sources familiar with the matter, that other alleged abuse victims have contacted the Manhattan District Attorney’s office.
Among those who spoke out after Major’s arrest was Broadway actor Tim Nicolai, who appeared opposite Rachel Weisz in the Public Theater production of Plenty.
Nicolai tweetedclaiming that “the people at Yale and the wider NYC community knew about it [Jonathan Majors] for years. He’s a sociopath and an abuser, and that’s how pretty much everyone talks about him. It’s a shame it took so long for him to be reported.”
In an additional post, Nicolai addressed the question of why he hadn’t done something sooner. “Guys, people have tried,” he said, adding that a victim must come forward and that many people in the New York theater scene are close to people the majors allegedly harmed.
“I stand by what I wrote,” Nicolai later told Variety. “And I support his victims, who I know, however they choose to move on.”
The Majors’ attorney denied the report that other victims had come forward.
“This story is baseless and unfounded,” Chaudhry told the Times in April. “Jonathan Majors is innocent and has not abused anyone. Mr. Majors is currently examining his legal options.”