Plans for King Charles’ 75th birthday celebrations have been revealed – and it will be a low-key affair.
The monarch is said to have vetoed any large public celebration and wants all events to be “minimal” and “family oriented”.
Over the past 12 months, the country has celebrated Queen Elizabeth’s platinum jubilee, her death and funeral last September, and Charles’s coronation in May.
While these major events were well received, they required significant planning and cost millions of dollars, putting a strain on already strained public finances.
A source told that Daily Mail: “His Majesty doesn’t have the gift of making such a fuss about such things, but he does [also] He is very aware that there have been many royal events lately and he firmly believes that events marking his birthday will be minimal.”
Another palace insider said: “There have been enough flybys and marches.”
It is believed that in the run-up to his birthday on November 14, His Majesty may want to focus on the daily routine, make public appearances and perhaps enjoy a cake and a few celebratory words.
There could reportedly be a private dinner organized by Queen Camilla for friends and family at Highgrove, his country home in Gloucestershire.
Camilla, then Duchess of Cornwall, revealed in 2013 when her husband turned 65 that Charles was a “workaholic” and “not the type to chill”.
She said at the time: “He never stops working. He is exhausting. No matter the day, he always works.
“I’m jumping up and down and I’m like, ‘Honey, do you think we could have some peace and quiet and have some fun together?’ But he always has to finish something.
“He’s so in the zone…you’re out…but he’s always in the zone, working, working, working….” He’ll stick to his papers, I know that as I try to sing Happy Birthday. I might even have to hold up a sign that says “Happy Birthday Darling.”
It has been announced that a BBC film documenting Her Majesties’ first year will be a key part of the company’s Christmas programme.
Buckingham Palace is said to have given the royals and their household “unprecedented” access.
The king and queen were not interviewed on camera. A source said: “This isn’t Netflix, you know.”
The quote is said to refer to last year’s Sussexes docuseries, which unleashed thinly veiled attacks on the royal family and the media.
Other family members are believed to have spoken to the BBC and the broadcaster is hoping the Prince and Princess of Wales can speak on camera.