Authorities have closed the new 6th Street Viaduct connecting downtown Los Angeles to Boyle Heights for the fourth night in the past five days.
The Los Angeles Police Department announced the closure in a tweet just after 9 p.m. Tuesday.
Details of the closure were not given other than “illegal activities and public safety concerns”.
Officer Drake Madison, a police spokesman, said he could not specify the nature of the illegal activity. Employees at the LAPD station in Hollenbeck could not be reached for comment.
A series of four videos posted to Instagram Tuesday night showed a large group of cyclists riding in lanes before police, including a helicopter circling overhead, cleared and closed the bridge.
The Times could not confirm whether the drivers were the reason for the shutdown.
The 3,500-foot bridge has only been open to traffic for two weeks but has quickly become a popular spot for street takeovers, illegal racing, dangerous stunts and vandalism.
On Friday, a driver struck a pickup truck illegally parked in a no-parking zone on the bridge, prompting several people to be escorted off the bridge by police. Within two hours of the bridge reopening, about 200 people gathered for a street takeover, with some onlookers climbing over safety barriers and trying to get a better view from the top of the bridge’s arches.
The bridge closed again on Saturday after more than 250 people gathered at the viaduct the night before for a street takeover that ended in violence and vandalism.
On Sunday, the LAPD cited “questionable activity” in closing the bridge for the third straight night.
In a statement last week, LA City Councilman Kevin de León, who represents downtown and parts of the Eastside, said the city is considering installing cameras on the bridge to identify those involved in street takeovers and other illegal activities there .
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-07-26/lapd-shuts-down-6th-street-viaduct-for-fourth-time-in-five-days LAPD shuts down 6th Street Viaduct for fourth time in five days