SILVERSTONE – Lewis Hamilton has removed his nose stud ahead of the British Grand Prix, seemingly ending the controversy over Formula 1’s jewelry ban.
This year the FIA clarified a long-standing rule in F1 regulations that banned drivers from wearing jewelry during races, something Hamilton had balked at.
The seven-time world champion said he couldn’t easily remove his nose stud as it was shrink-wrapped.
At the Monaco Grand Prix, Hamilton received a two-race waiver to remove the bolt.
Hamilton had previously suggested he could face a ban if he refused to take the stud out and said ahead of the Miami Grand Prix he would not drive if the FIA wanted to enforce the rule.
In fact, in the first three instances he faced a fine followed by a suspension if he continued to defy the rule.
On Friday, during practice for his home race, television cameras showed Hamilton without the bolt in his nose, ending the standoff between the seven-time world champion and the racing association.
Ahead of that race, Hamilton said the jewelry ban looked even more pointless in the context of the week’s biggest news story, in which three-time world champion Nelson Piquet was banned from the paddock for describing the Mercedes driver with racial slurs.
On Thursday, Hamilton said: “With all due respect, it’s kind of crazy to think that with everything that’s going on in the world, that’s a focus for people. And I would say it’s worrying that we have so many bigger fish to fry.
“We really need to focus on other, more important areas. I will race this weekend, I will work with the FIA.
“I would say the matter is not particularly massively important.”
https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/34178652/lewis-hamilton-removes-nose-stud-british-grand-prix Lewis Hamilton removes nose stud for British Grand Prix