Little known way to get half price travel if you’re claiming Universal Credit

A LESS known WAY means Universal Credit claimants can cut their travel costs by up to 50%.

The cost-of-living crisis means that many of us are having a hard time making ends meet, especially with benefits.

Universal Credit holders can get help with travel expenses


Universal Credit holders can get help with travel expensesCredit: Alamy

But if you’re asking for financial assistance, there are ways to get discounts and extra support.

For example, people with Universal Credit and sometimes a Job Seeker’s Allowance can get a discount on travel expenses.

Recipients of both can apply for the JobCentre Plus Travel Discount Card.

It’s available for free and cuts the cost of traveling by public transport by 50%, including buses and trains.

All train operators in England, Scotland and Wales accept the discount and the pass is valid for up to three months.

Eligible persons must:

  • Claiming Universal Credit or Job Seeker’s Allowance
  • Between 18 and 24 years old and have been unemployed for 13 to 39 weeks.
  • Age 25 or older and unemployed for 13 to 52 weeks.

To register, you need to visit the JobCentre Plus office.

You can find your nearest one by going to

But just because you’re receiving benefits, it doesn’t mean you’ll automatically get one – they are given on a case-by-case basis by Job Center staff at the job instructor’s discretion. .

To find out if you’re eligible for a raise, talk to your job coach at your nearest Job Center, which you can find through

Additionally, people with Universal Credit can also apply for the Restart Program.

It can help cover the costs associated with finding a job, including travel, childcare, and other expenses.

If you’re in a program, ask your provider or work coach how to claim.

The Flexible Fund is an amount of money that has been set aside by the government to help you cover the cost of getting a job.

The fund is administered by local job centers and can be used to cover the following job search expenses:

The fund is administered by local job centers and can be used to cover the following job search expenses:

  • Training for a job, up to £150
  • Go to an interview
  • Take care of children
  • Tools for the job
  • Cost of medical proof required by a person with a disability
  • Clothes and uniforms to start work
  • Support single parents in case of financial emergency during the first 26 weeks of starting work.

What other help is available?

If you’re using Universal Credit, there’s another help available.

Free milk, fruit and vegetables

The Healthy Start Program provides thousands of low-income parents to help raise their children.

You get a prepaid card and payments worth up to £442 a year for those claiming certain benefits.

You can start receiving money from ten weeks pregnant until the child turns four years old.

The card can be used at supermarkets and large stores but the following:

  • Dairy cows
  • fresh, frozen or canned fruits and vegetables
  • infant formula milk
  • fresh, dried and canned beans

Check out how to sign up for the Healthy Start program in our guide.

Free babysitting

If you claim Universal Credit, you can get most of your childcare expenses reimbursed.

You can claim 85% of childcare costs up to £646 for one child or £1,108 for two or more children until 31 August after the child’s 16th birthday.

You will have to pay your own childcare costs upfront and then claim a refund through Universal Credit.

The Sun has called on the government to change the rules and prepay parents for childcare costs, as part of our Make Universal Credit Work campaign.

Parents can also take advantage of other childcare supports, whether you claim Universal Credit or not, including up to 30 hours of free childcare.

Free prescription and dental treatment

You can also get help with medical expenses, such as paying for prescriptions and dental treatment.

To claim, you need to present a copy of your Universal Credit award notice.

You will not be able to claim medical expenses before being deemed eligible for Universal Credit.

You may also be able to get help with the cost of glasses and contact lenses and travel expenses for treatment.

The NHS has outlined more information on how to make a claim This.

Payment of living expenses

Millions of disadvantaged households will receive the first installment of the £900 living expenses payment.

The first payment, worth £301, will be paid directly to a bank account between 25 April and 17 May.

Millions of people have already been paid although a small number are still waiting.

For those receiving a £301 payment from the DWP, the amount will show up in your bank account as “DWP COLP” along with your National Insurance (NI) number.

For example, if your NI number is JT 83 42 97B, your payment will show up as “DWP COLP JT 83 42 97B” on your statement.

I made my grotesque garden glow on a budget - the £22 IKEA purchase changed the game
I'm a hot mom, I have a'terrible look' in bikinis but'wear what I want'

The £301 payment is the first of three to be made – the other two, worth £300 and £299, will be made this autumn and spring 2024, respectively.

Do you have a money problem that needs sorting? Get in touch by emailing

Russell Falcon

Russell Falcon is a USTimesPost U.S. News Reporter based in London. His focus is on U.S. politics and the environment. He has covered climate change extensively, as well as healthcare and crime. Russell Falcon joined USTimesPost in 2023 from the Daily Express and previously worked for Chemist and Druggist and the Jewish Chronicle. He is a graduate of Cambridge University. Languages: English. You can get in touch with me by emailing

Related Articles

Back to top button