A MAN suffered a fatal lung infection after using a common menthol decongestant every day for years.
The 38-year-old had started using the nasal spray to combat his seasonal allergies.
Decongestant nasal sprays are commonly used to provide short-term relief from a stuffy or stuffy nose.
They are also used to relieve the symptoms of allergies, which include sneezing and itchy red eyes.
The drugs are generally safe and should not be used for more than a week at a time, says the NHS.
But according to a medical report, the cosmetics shop owner inhaled the decongestant five to 20 times a day for more than two years.
In May 2020, the man developed flu-like symptoms including fever, cough and chest tightness.
Medics from China wrote in BMC Pulmonary Medicine that they initially believed the man had community-acquired pneumonia – the most common form of the lung disease – and was treated and sent home.
But just days later, his symptoms returned, and after multiple tests, it was revealed he was indeed suffering from lipoid pneumonia, a rare version of the disease.
The lung disease that occurs when fat particles enter the lungs can be fatal if not recognized and treated quickly.
The disease is becoming more common among vapers.
In addition to the lipoid pneumonia, doctors also carried a secondary infection known as Mycobacterium.
Mycobacteria are found in water and soil and are usually harmless
However, if they get into the body, they can cause skin lesions, soft tissue infections, and serious lung problems.
According to the report, the oily nasal drops accumulated in his lungs, causing inflammation and lung damage.
And the infection was a rare complication of pneumonia.
The patient was advised to stop using the nasal sprays and take antibiotics to clear the infection.
https://www.the-sun.com/health/7379789/killer-infection-allergy-spray/ Man left battling killer infection after using common allergy medication