MANCHESTER United’s handling of the Mason-Greenwood saga sparked a “deep sense of shame” among staff.
The 21-year-old striker has not played for the club since his arrest in January last year.
A criminal investigation into allegations of attempted rape, assault and coercion was dropped in February, but Greenwood remains the subject of an internal investigation led by club officials.
But The Sun revealed on Wednesday he is expected to be back at United as soon as next week.
And the club’s staff feel deep shame at his possible return. The guard reports.
It is understood that the majority of staff on the club’s football side are in favor of giving Greenwood a second chance.
However, there are employees who are frustrated with United’s handling of its internal investigation.
A final decision will be made by United chief executive Richard Arnold in the next 48 hours.
However, the announcement will be delayed until after the Lionesses’ World Cup finals against Spain on Sunday.
A source said: “This has been a long and difficult process for everyone involved, but it is nearing completion.”
“The internal investigation is complete and Mason is likely to be reinstated at Old Trafford.
“He has made no secret of his desire to get back to doing what he does best.
“He already has the support of the players and manager Erik ten Hag. He’s just waiting for the green light.”
In a statement released on Wednesday, the club said they were “in the final stages” of announcing a decision.
It said the “exploration phase” of the investigation was complete, but no final decision had been made.
Members of the Manchester United women’s team have reportedly expressed concerns about the prospect of Greenwood returning to the training ground.
Natalie Burrell, founder of Manchester United’s Women’s Supporters’ Club, has said the footballer should not return – admitting it would ‘destroy’ the club.
And protests erupted at Old Trafford ahead of United’s opening game against Wolverhampton Wanderers on Monday.
Countdown co-host Rachel Riley has also vowed to stop supporting United if they welcome back Greenwood.
Responding to radio comments from another United fan named Em, Rachel, 37, said she would “leave my club” if Greenwood came back.
Greenwood, who has been suspended on his full £75,000-a-week salary, has been training alone – following drills drawn up by United’s coaching staff.
His last game came on 22 January 2022 in a Premier League clash against West Ham United, which United won 1-0.
He was charged in October last year and was due to stand trial in November this year.
But prosecutors withdrew the case on February 2 after his alleged victim and a dozen other witnesses refused to cooperate.