Matty Healy has deactivated his X/Twitter account after making an ableist joke related to indie supergroup Boygenius.
On Thursday (September 21), the 34-year-old 1975 frontman tweeted from his Brenner account under the username @Mattyfrnglomg.
“I told Lucy Dacus that ‘Boygenius’ inspired me and George [Daniel] to form a new band called “Girlr*****”. “I don’t really hear from her very often,” wrote Healy, who is friends with and frequently collaborates with Dacus’ Boygenius bandmate Phoebe Bridgers.
Responding to the British singer-songwriter’s message, 28-year-old Dacus said: “You don’t hear from me at all.”
“Yeah, that never goes well, does it?” Healy wrote before deactivating his account.
The Independent has reached out to Healy’s representative for comment.
Last month The 1975 were sued for £2 million by the organizers of a Malaysian music festival for alleged breach of contract.
In July, the British band were performing at the Good Vibes Festival in Kuala Lumpur when their performance was cut short after Healy kissed bassist Ross MacDonald on stage while criticizing the country’s strict anti-LGBT+ laws.
The Malaysian government described the band as “extremely rude” and added that they would not be allowed to perform in the country again. Communications Minister Fahmi Fadzil said the government “called the organisers” of the festival, which was subsequently canceled entirely.
Malaysia’s Ministry of Communications and Digital also said The 1975 had been blacklisted by an agency that oversees foreign artists performing in Malaysia.
The festival’s organizers, Future Sound Asia (FSA), claimed that the band had given “a written assurance prior to the show” that it would comply with “all local guidelines and regulations” and that it should “acknowledge its liability and indemnify FSA for any damages.” . developed”.
The FSA claimed that Healy was responsible for canceling the event because of his “offensive language, damage to his equipment and indecent behavior on stage”, and the organization’s lawyers confirmed this Press Association that they are seeking compensation of £2,099,154.54.
The following week (16 August), the FSA’s legal adviser confirmed that the resolution process was “now underway”.
“We can confirm that our lawyers have received communications from the band’s lawyers and we continue to pursue the matter as stated in our previous statement,” David Matthew said.