Hours before the Mega Millions draw, the jackpot prize skyrocketed to $1.28 billion, the second largest prize in the game’s history.
ATLANTA — Across the country, Americans have blown their chances at a whopping billion-dollar prize, but were there any lucky Mega Millions winners on Friday?
The winning numbers for Friday night’s record-breaking $1.28 billion prize were 13-36-45-57-67, Mega Ball 14 and Megaplier 2. The cash option for today’s jackpot is $747.2 million .
We won’t know for a few hours if there’s a winner. The last time the Mega Millions game had a winner was April 15th. If there is no winner tonight, the next estimated jackpot is $1.7 billion, making it the nation’s largest lottery win.
Hours before the Mega Millions draw, the jackpot prize skyrocketed to $1.28 billion, the second largest prize in the game of all time.
Friday’s drawing was held in Atlanta, Georgia. Shortly after the 11:00pm drawing, a number of people visited the Mega Millions website to check if they had the winning ticket. On Tuesday, the website crashed two hours after the drawing.
The huge jackpot was the third largest win of any lottery game in the US and was the result of 29 consecutive draws without anyone matching all six numbers in the game.
The odds of hitting the six magic numbers are slim but not impossible – a staggering 302.5 million. Although some doubled and tripled their attempts, the odds remained slim.
In the event that someone matched all six numbers, the winner would have the option of an annuity option paid in 30 annual payments. Most players choose the cash option.
The focus on Mega Millions grew exponentially as the price approached the billion dollar mark. A fast food chain founder even bought 50,000 Mega Millions tickets for the second time this week to be the lucky winner.
Since 2016 there have been 40 Mega Million jackpot winners spread across 22 states. California is the state with the most jackpot winners in the last six years.
The next Mega Millions draw will be held on Tuesday, August 2nd at 11:00pm ET.
What are the top 10 biggest Mega Millions jackpots?
1. $1.537 billion – 10/23/2018
2. $1.28 billion – 7/29/2022 – Estimated
3. $1.050 billion – 01/22/2021
4. $656 million – 03/30/2012
5. $648 million – 12/17/2013
6. $543 million – 7/24/2018
7. $536 million – 7/8/2016
8. $533 million – 03/30/2018
9. $522 million – 6/7/2019
10. $516 million – 05/21/2021
What are the 10 Biggest US Lottery Jackpots Ever Won?
1. $1.586 billion, Powerball, January 13, 2016 (three lots from California, Florida, Tennessee)
2. $1.537 billion, Mega Millions, October 23, 2018 (one ticket, from South Carolina)
3. $1.05 billion, Mega Millions, January 22, 2021 (one ticket, from Michigan)
4. $768.4 million, Powerball, March 27, 2019 (one ticket from Wisconsin)
5. $758.7 million, Powerball, August 23, 2017 (one ticket from Massachusetts)
6. $731.1 million, Powerball, January 20, 2021 (one ticket from Maryland)
7. $699.8 million, Powerball, October 4, 2021 (one ticket from California)
8. $687.8 million, Powerball, October 27, 2018 (two tickets, from Iowa and New York)
9. $656 million, Mega Millions, March 30, 2012 (three tickets from Kansas, Illinois and Maryland)
10. $648 million, Mega Millions, December 17, 2013 (two tickets, from California and Georgia)
Mega Millions is played Tuesdays and Fridays in 45 states plus Washington, DC and the US Virgin Islands.
https://www.king5.com/article/news/nation-world/mega-millions-winning-numbers-july-29-jackpot/507-77798612-3285-47d2-bb8c-2a061c35c637 Mega Millions winning numbers for Friday, July 29 jackpot