The jackpot has increased since mid-April.
WASHINGTON — The Mega Millions jackpot will continue to grow after no one matched the numbers needed to win $450 million in Friday’s draw. The jackpot for the next draw on Tuesday increased to $480 million.
There is a $1 million winner from California who matched the first five balls but not the Mega ball.
The player must match all five white balls and the Mega ball to win the jackpot.
Mega Millions has not had a major winner since April 18, when a 71-year-old man from New York won the state’s largest-ever Mega Millions jackpot. Johnnie Taylor of Howard Beach in Queens, New York, won $476 million but chose the cash option — a sum worth more than $157 million after taxes.
Winners almost always have a cash option, but instead, they have the option to receive the full amount in recurring payments over 29 years.
Players must match all five white balls plus the Mega Ball to win the jackpot.
Mega Millions winning numbers for July 7, 2023:
The winning numbers are 8-10-17-55-66, Mega Ball 3 and Megaplier 3.
What is the biggest lottery jackpot ever won?
1.24 billion, Powerball, November 8, 2022 (one ticket, from California)
2. $1.586 billion, Powerball, January 13, 2016 (three tickets, from California, Florida, Tennessee)
3. $1.537 billion, Mega Millions, October 23, 2018 (one ticket, from South Carolina)
4. $1.35 billion, Mega Millions, January 13, 2023 (one ticket, from Maine)
5. $1.337 billion, Mega Millions, July 29, 2022 (one ticket, from Illinois)
6. $1.05 billion, Mega Millions, January 22, 2021 (one ticket, from Michigan)
$7.768.4 million, Powerball, March 27, 2019 (one ticket, from Wisconsin)
$8.758.7 million, Powerball, August 23, 2017 (one ticket, from Massachusetts)
9. $731.1 million, Powerball, January 20, 2021 (one ticket, from Maryland)
10. $699.8 million, Powerball, October 4, 2021 (one ticket, from California)
The game’s huge prize pool comes with a really small chance of winning — the winner surpasses odds of around 1 in 302.6 million.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.