‘Miracle child,’ 11, dies from flesh-eating infection that made his brain swell after twisting ankle on treadmill

An 11-year-old boy died after an ankle injury that developed into a flesh-eating bacteria infection.

Florida native Jesse Brown was his family’s “child prodigy” after his parents struggled to conceive.

Jesse Brown's family has spoken out to warn parents about the rapid infection


Jesse Brown’s family has spoken out to warn parents about the rapid infectionCredit: Facebook
Jesse's parents fought to conceive and called him their


Jesse’s parents fought to conceive and called him their “child prodigy.”Credit: Facebook

Winter Park family warns parents about group A streptococcal (iGAS) infection that killed their son.

The news comes as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warned of an increase in iGAS infections.

The surge was seen in the United States last year and has mostly affected children.

Speaking to USA Today, the boy’s family said Jesse sprained his ankle while on the treadmill at a gym on Jan. 16.

Ben Garcia hopes the Catalans' rivals are feeling ill after THREE major health concerns
Senator John Fetterman is hospitalized with clinical depression

Megan Brown, Jesse’s cousin, said the child woke up six days later on Jan. 22 with “a crazy rash.”

She said: “His leg was blotchy, purple and red, almost like bruises.”

Brown described how her cousin’s limbs were cold but he had a fever.

The family took him to the emergency room, where doctors found that his infection was caused by group A Streptococcus bacteria.

The rapid infection believed to have spread through his injury began to eat away at the boy’s flesh and his brain began to swell.

Brown said: “They had to bring him back a couple of times because his heart was doing crazy things.

“His organs started shutting down and they had to intubate him.”

The fifth grader died on Jan. 27, less than two weeks after his gym injury.

Brown said how the boy’s parents, Betsy and Brad, spent a decade trying to father a child before being blessed with their “child prodigy.”

She talked about how he was such an active and strong kid, even competing in BMX and motocross from the age of nine.

Brown said her cousin would be happy with “anything with two wheels that can go fast.”

She said his active and rough lifestyle meant his family didn’t think much of a minor sprain and cut at the gym.

Speaking to Fox 35, Megan said doctors believed the injury had weakened the site and therefore it was likely she became the target of the infection.

She added: “In my mind I was in total disbelief. I thought he would be fine.

“That could never happen to our family. It was crazy to kill him in just a few days.”

The CDC is investigating the increase in iGAS infections among children in the United States

The site explains how the flesh-eating infection known as necrotizing fasciitis can, in rare cases, often be caused by skin lacerations or blunt trauma.

dr Alan Cross, an infectious disease specialist at the University of Maryland Medical Center, said, “When group A streptococci build up, it can lead to this very rapid infection and the reason it does this is because they make a toxin.”

He added, “The bottom line here is you clean the wound properly first and then you can watch it over time.”

When Jesse got a boot for his ankle, his family couldn’t monitor the injury fast enough and see what was happening.

People have been advised to seek medical help if they develop a fever after an injury, the area has changed color, is swollen and the swelling is spreading quickly, and experience severe pain.

Ulcers, blisters, dizziness, and one or more black spots on the skin are later signs of iGAS infection.

Six dead after the suspect opened fire at a shop and two houses before arrest
Inside Ryan Seacrest's unexpected new career plan and after he quit his job at Live

If the infection is caught early enough, it can be treated with antibiotics and surgery.

A memorial fund was established in Jesse’s honor by the Lakemont School to raise funds for his family to pay for medical bills and the funeral.

Jesse was an active, strong and healthy child


Jesse was an active, strong and healthy childCredit: Facebook

https://www.the-sun.com/health/7424412/child-jesse-brown-dies-flesh-eating-infection-florida/ ‘Miracle child,’ 11, dies from flesh-eating infection that made his brain swell after twisting ankle on treadmill

Emma James

Emma James is a USTimesPost U.S. News Reporter based in London. His focus is on U.S. politics and the environment. He has covered climate change extensively, as well as healthcare and crime. Emma James joined USTimesPost in 2023 from the Daily Express and previously worked for Chemist and Druggist and the Jewish Chronicle. He is a graduate of Cambridge University. Languages: English. You can get in touch with me by emailing emmajames@ustimespost.com.

Related Articles

Back to top button