READING, Pennsylvania (WPVI) — A hazardous materials situation forced an evacuation at a YMCA in Reading, Pennsylvania on Friday afternoon.
Officials said a mixture of chemicals in the Y’s indoor pool area created a gas that caused various reactions in people in the building, including phlegm, irritation and a rash.
“What we found when we came here from the hazardous materials side was a chemical reaction going on in the side room under the pool where they mix the pool chemicals to keep the pool water safe for people to swim in,” Dep said . Chief Tom Kemery, Reading Fire Brigade.
Between 10 and 20 people, including some children, experienced a reaction.
Officials said they were examined at the city’s nearby ambulance station.
Some were taken to hospital for further treatment, officials said.
About 60 other people were evacuated from the Y’s daycare and housed across the street at the St. Joseph Medical Center community campus.
Firefighters used fans to clear the building of chlorine gas before allowing people back inside just before 5pm
Copyright © 2022 WPVI-TV. All rights reserved.
https://6abc.com/hazmat-situation-reading-ymca-indoor-pool-children-sickened/12102688/ Multiple people sicked during hazmat situation at Reading, Pennsylvania YMCA indoor pool