On the 80th anniversary of the Battle of Midway, the crew discussed the Pacific Islands. Beijing has tried to strike a deal with 10 of the islands but has so far failed. Meanwhile, US leaders are promising to devote more time and attention to the region. What’s at stake? Can US leaders deliver on their promises to the region? Chris also calls out US political leaders for a lack of action to protect the American people from gun violence, Melanie pays tribute to Queen Elizabeth for her decades of leadership, and Zack hopes for good news on COVID-19 vaccinations for children under five.
- Charles Edel, “A Fault Line in the Pacific”, Foreign AffairsJune 3, 2022.
- Anna Powles and Joanne Wallis: ‘It’s time to talk to the Pacific, not about it’ The StrategistMarch 28, 2022.
- Carol E. Lee, Peter Nicholas, Kristen Welker, and Courtney Kube, “Inside a Biden White House Adrift,” NBC NewsMay 31, 2022.
- Damien Cave, “Why China Is Miles Ahead in a Pacific Race for Influence”, New York TimesMay 31, 2022.
- Stephen Dziedzic: “China wanted a quick diplomatic victory in the Pacific. But the leaders of the region will not be rushed.” abc newsJune 1, 2022,
- Kelly Grieco, “Trying harder is a bad China strategy”, national interestsJune 2, 2022.
- George C. Marshall International Center.
Image: US Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Gregory A. Pickett II
https://warontherocks.com/2022/06/musings-on-competition-in-the-pacific/ Musings on Competition in the Pacific