My daughter, 6, was hit by lightning through her bedroom window and thrown across the room – it was terrifying

A horrified mother has told how her six-year-old daughter was thrown across a room after lightning struck her bedroom window.

Stacey Sim, 31, opened up about how young Lily was “thrown on the bed” after extreme weather hit earlier this week.

Lily, 6, was struck by lightning through the bedroom window and'thrown' onto a bed.


Lily, 6, was struck by lightning through the bedroom window and ‘thrown’ onto a bed.Photo credit: Jam Press
Lily's foot still bears the marks of the lightning strike


Lily’s foot still bears the marks of the lightning strikePhoto credit: Jam Press

The Sheffield family were watching the thunderstorm from the windowsill when the horrific incident took place.

Stacey says she was also struck by lightning, leaving a large blister on her hand, while Lily left marks on her foot.

“Lightning came through the window, hit her on the foot and threw her onto the bed,” the terrified mother said.

She added: “I had just bathed Lily, put on her pajamas and got her ready for bed when I noticed the storm.

“Around 6:20 p.m., we began watching the storm from inside the house.

“We watched in amazement as the storm seemed to be getting stronger.”

But it soon got worse when, twenty minutes later, “the flashes got stronger.”

Stacey continued, “Then it came through the window and hit Lily in the foot.”

“She was thrown on the bed – I was in complete shock.

“Shortly after that, lightning struck me and hit my hand.

“Lily’s foot was so red and sore and I had a big blister on my hand.

“I just wanted to get her away from the window asap and her foot was hurting so we put an ice pack on it.

“She was absolutely terrified and I was so shocked I couldn’t make out what had just happened.”

The incident happened on Sunday 9 July at the family home in Heeley.

As if what happened to Stacey and Lily wasn’t bizarre enough, they reported that another family member was affected.


A shaken Stacey continued: “After all this happened I noticed there was smoke outside my house.

“I think the lightning struck something and blew it up – it was that dangerous.

“My Aunt Heather lives right across the street from me.

“When I got there, she told me that her TV broke, it’s now broken and doesn’t work anymore.

“She was totally shocked, I think everyone was like that because you hear about people being struck by lightning but don’t expect it to actually happen.

“Heather said she couldn’t see any damage to the TV, but it would not turn back on, however the other electronics in the house still worked, including the other TVs that were off at the time.”

Stacey has now shared her story to raise awareness for other parents and is passing on her advice to anyone affected by a similar situation.

The mother added: “For other parents in this situation, I would say just don’t watch a storm.

“Pay attention to safety and stay away from windows.

My husband died so I came to his brother - trolls say I'm sick but I don't care
My mom taught me the best trick to dress for big boobs, I still use it

“We found out the hard way how dangerous they can be.”

The Met Office has said the latest forecast indicates the weather will remain unsettled and unsettled this week.

Stacey had a blister on his hand after the horrific accident


Stacey had a blister on his hand after the horrific accidentPhoto credit: Jam Press

Edmuns DeMars

Edmund DeMarche is a USTimesPost U.S. News Reporter based in London. His focus is on U.S. politics and the environment. He has covered climate change extensively, as well as healthcare and crime. Edmund DeMarche joined USTimesPost in 2023 from the Daily Express and previously worked for Chemist and Druggist and the Jewish Chronicle. He is a graduate of Cambridge University. Languages: English. You can get in touch with me by emailing

Related Articles

Back to top button