My daughter died after spraying deodorant in her room – all parents need to know the dangers
THE FATHER of a little girl who tragically died after inhaling aerosol deodorant wants more parents to know about the potential dangers.
Giorgia Green, 14, went into cardiac arrest in May 2022 after spraying deodorant in her bedroom.
The “otherwise perfectly healthy” teenager, who “never had a serious illness,” was found dead by her mother Clare on May 11, the parents said.
Giorgia, from Derby, was autistic and her father Paul said she likes to spray deodorant on blankets because she found the smell soothing.
“She liked the smell of the deodorant and it made her feel relaxed and calm,” Paulus said.
Paul wrote on JustGiving: “We would like to share that this has happened because our daughter sprayed too much aerosol deodorant.
“Please help us spread the word that toxic/toxic chemicals and gases in aerosol cans can be fatal, this type of death is not limited to children,” he added.
So far, the parents have raised more than £3,000.
“This could hopefully prevent more tragedy from happening again.
“Our greatest wish is that the death of beloved Giorgia is not in vain,” Paul said.
The British Aerosol Manufacturers’ Association replied that deodorants had “very clear warnings”, the BBC reported.
A spokesman said: “The British Aerosol Manufacturers’ Association (BAMA) takes any incident involving aerosol products very seriously and we were deeply saddened to learn of the death of such a young person.
“As an industry association, we work with manufacturers to ensure aerosols are manufactured to the highest safety standards and are labeled with very clear warnings and instructions for use, and encourage anyone using an aerosol to do so in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
“We also recommend applying and continuing to review a range of additional warnings and instructions for use beyond those required by law to promote the safe use of aerosols.”
https://www.the-sun.com/health/7232983/deodorant-aerosol-cardiac-arrest/ My daughter died after spraying deodorant in her room – all parents need to know the dangers