My little girl, 6, died in her stepdad’s arms two days after she was sent home from hospital with tonsillitis

A six-year-old girl died in her stepfather’s arms just two days after being discharged from hospital with tonsillitis.

Little Maya Siek’s mother insisted her daughter was very poor after two meltdowns, but doctors sent her home on antibiotics.

Maya Siek with her mother Magdalena Wisniewska


Maya Siek with her mother Magdalena WisniewskaPhoto credit: SWNS


The “friendly and helpful” six-year-old died of tonsillitis two days after being discharged from hospitalPhoto credit: SWNS

About 48 hours later, just before Christmas last year, the “friendly and helpful” child passed away.

Her heart stopped beating after she suffered acute myocardial necrosis (death of organ cells). Pathologists could not determine the reason for this.

A pediatric consultant responsible for child protection told Maya’s family that sepsis was likely the cause.

Now her mother Magdalena Wisniewska, 26, is demanding someone to take responsibility for her daughter’s death.

She said she has hardly left the home she shares with her six-year-old son Nathan and partner Raj Blande since losing Maya on December 21, 2022.

Magdalena, from Margate, Kent, said: “We were just one happy family with plans and ambitions for the future of our children, but we’re not the same family anymore.”

“We have completely lost the will to live.

“Our lives are ruined and will never be the same again, but we are here because we have another child to care for.”

The family was looking forward to Christmas at home when on December 18th Maya felt tired, weak and cold and had lost her appetite.

The next day, Magdalena made an appointment to see a family doctor, but as they prepared to leave the house, Maya collapsed.

She was taken to QEQM Hospital where she was diagnosed with tonsillitis.

Doctors told her she could go home on antibiotics, but before she was released she collapsed again.

Magdalena said, “I asked the doctor about Maya’s abdominal pain, white tongue, pale color and feeling like her body was freezing, but he said it was normal with tonsillitis.”

“Maya was throwing up in the hospital bed too, so they gave her an injection for nausea and we came home.”

The Holy Trinity & St. John’s Primary student had a sleepless night during which she continued to complain of stomach pain, thirst and dizziness.

In the morning, her panicked mother called 999 because Maya was too weak to stand unaided and she was taken back to QEQM by ambulance.

After testing negative for Covid, she was diagnosed with the flu and put on an IV, still pale and cold.

At 3:00 p.m., she was admitted to the children’s ward after not being able to urinate for two days.

Clinic staff reportedly reassured the family that Maya’s symptoms were not a cause for great concern.

Magdalena said she has repeatedly pointed out that her daughter is acting strangely, even reporting she can see monkeys that aren’t there.

Our lives are ruined and will never be the same again.

Magdalena Wisniewska mummy

That night, Maya was again unable to sleep and her mother tried to comfort her while begging for water, which was being rationed on a doctor’s orders, without her saying it with her mouth.

On December 21, after another sleepless night, Magdalena again voiced her concerns to staff, reportedly warning them about her daughter’s shaky breathing, discolored skin and disorientation.

The mother claimed doctors told her Maya just needed a good rest.

Staff reportedly removed her daughter’s heart monitor because they feared the beeping would disturb her sleep.

That afternoon, when staff attempted to draw a blood sample while Maya was assisted by her stepfather, her heart stopped.

Her mother said, “After a few seconds, Maya fell silent and my partner realized she had stopped breathing.”

“At that point, no one was reacting as if anything had happened, but [my partner] asked for help.

“Then all the other staff gathered in our room. They started resuscitation to save her and her heart came back for a few seconds but then it stopped again. This time Maya died.”

“The day before she died, she was very pale and said to me, ‘Mom, I think I’m going to die,’ and I said, ‘Don’t say that, Maya.'”

“We asked her for help because she was saying strange things, like she could see a monkey moving on the wall.

“We tried to tell the doctor and the nurse, but no one listened to us.”

“I’ll never get over this”

Her partner Raj said he will never forget the moment Maya breathed her last in his hands.

“I just can’t get over it — I don’t think I’ll ever do it,” he said.

“There were tons of people treating her, but none of them could figure out what it was until it was too late.”

“Nothing can bring our daughter back to us and I know our lives will never be the same.”

“As her stepdad I just feel guilty because I wish I could have done things differently because looking back the red flags were there.”

To keep her memory alive, the family kept the Christmas tree that Maya decorated before her death in their living room.

They also regularly visit a bench placed in their honor under their favorite tree in Dane Park.

On December 28, Magdalena and Raj met the Chief Executive of East Kent Hospitals Trust, Tracey Fletcher, and were told that an inquest was being launched into Maya’s death.

In March, an independent pediatrician said the cause was likely flu, which progressed to sepsis and produced deadly toxins that affected her heart.

An investigation was launched last month but has been adjourned until September 25 to complete the review.

Jane Dickson, the chief nurse at East Kent Hospitals, said: “I am so sorry for the loss of Maya’s family.”

I'm addicted to fake tans - I swear by Lidl mousse for £2.99, one coat is to die for
Shoppers stumble upon themselves to buy trendy new look skirt

“We are conducting a thorough investigation into Maya’s care to provide Maya’s family with answers and to ensure we know where we need to do things differently and to ensure lessons are learned.”

“We will continue to work with Maya’s family as the investigation continues and will keep them informed.”

Maya died in her stepfather's arms


Maya died in her stepfather’s armsPhoto credit: SWNS

Russell Falcon

Russell Falcon is a USTimesPost U.S. News Reporter based in London. His focus is on U.S. politics and the environment. He has covered climate change extensively, as well as healthcare and crime. Russell Falcon joined USTimesPost in 2023 from the Daily Express and previously worked for Chemist and Druggist and the Jewish Chronicle. He is a graduate of Cambridge University. Languages: English. You can get in touch with me by emailing

Related Articles

Back to top button