Norway pride shooting suspect won’t talk with police

Two people were killed and more than 20 injured in what the Norwegian Security Service called an “Islamist act of terrorism”.

OSLO, Norway – The suspect in a mass shooting during an LGBTQ festival in Norway has refused to explain his actions to investigators and will remain in pre-trial detention for the next four weeks, police and his defense attorney said on Sunday.

The man, whom authorities described as a 42-year-old Norwegian citizen from Iran, was arrested shortly after the shooting in Oslo’s nightlife district early Saturday. He is being held on suspicion of murder, attempted murder and terrorism.

Two people were killed and more than 20 injured in what the Norwegian Security Service called an “Islamist act of terrorism”.

Oslo police said they tried unsuccessfully to question the suspect on Saturday and Sunday. Norwegian media identified him as Zaniar Matapour.

Matapour’s defense attorney, John Christian Elden, told The Associated Press by email that his client refused to record and videotape his testimony unless police had the entire recording “without a time delay so they wouldn’t.” is censored or manipulated”, made available to the public.

Recording interrogations is standard police practice.

Elden previously said his client did not deny being the shooter but did not reveal a motive. The lawyer said on Sunday that Matapour did not mind being detained for four weeks and would therefore not appear in court on Monday.

In Norway, pre-trial detention hearings are normally held every four weeks.

Norway’s prime minister and members of the royal family joined mourners Sunday at Oslo Cathedral for victims of the attack.

The gunman opened fire at three locations, including outside the London Pub, a popular gay bar in Oslo. Police investigators said it was too early to say if the attacker was specifically targeting the LGBTQ community.

A Pride march scheduled for Saturday was canceled because of the shooting.

Norwegian Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Stoere said during Sunday’s memorial service that “the shooting in the night hours put an end to the Pride march, but it did not stop the struggle and efforts to combat discrimination, prejudice and hatred.”

He also reached out to Norway’s Muslim community.

“I know how many of you felt when it turned out that the perpetrator belonged to the Islamic community. Many of you have experienced fear and anxiety. You should know that: We stand together, we are a community and we share responsibility for the community,” said Störe during the service, which Crown Princess Mette-Marit also attended.

Norwegian media said Matapour came to Norway with his family from a Kurdish part of Iran in the 1990s.

He had a criminal record that included a narcotics offense and a weapons offense for carrying a knife. Investigators said they seized two guns after Saturday’s shooting: a handgun and an automatic weapon.

Norway’s State Security Agency, known by its Norwegian acronym PST, said on Saturday it first became aware of the suspect in 2015 and later worried he was radicalized and part of an unspecified Islamist network.

On Sunday, Norwegian media reported that Matapour was allegedly in close contact with a Norway-based Islamist extremist who has long been known to the Norwegian police.

Tanner reported from Helsinki.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/nation-world/norway-suspect-silent/507-74b4c708-4fef-47bb-b29c-4b4f9f3f4219 Norway pride shooting suspect won’t talk with police

Alley Einstein

USTimesPost.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@ustimespost.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button