Police release video of Paul Pelosi attack, suspect’s confession

Surveillance video showing an intruder breaking into a home in San Francisco. An 911 call in which a man calmly tells police that “there’s a gentleman here just waiting for my wife to come back, Nancy Pelosi.” Police body camera video showing the suspect swinging a hammer at Paul Pelosi.

Videos and audio recordings released by a San Francisco court on Friday provide a chilling account of the ordeal that unfolded in the early hours of October 28 at the home of then House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, as a husband entered the home and attacked her husband in a brutal act of political violence just before the midterm elections.

David DePape is accused of breaking into the San Francisco lawmaker’s home early one morning in late October and attacking Paul Pelosi with a hammer, fracturing the 82-year-old’s skull and causing other serious injuries.

The records are evidence in the case against David DePape, who has been charged with attempted murder, home burglary, assault with a deadly weapon, elder abuse, false imprisonment of an elder and threatening an officer and his family on allegations of breaking and entering the home of the legislature and attack on Paul Pelosi, He fractured his skull and caused other serious injuries. DePape has pleaded not guilty.

In a rambling interview with police taped shortly after the attack, also released Friday, DePape said he broke into the home and hit Paul Pelosi with a hammer, but he got into the home where Hope to find Nancy Pelosi, Democrat. Alpha Wolf.”

She was in Washington with her security detail at the time of the burglary. According to the government agency, security cameras in the home were not actively monitored by US Capitol Police on the night of the home invasion.

Lawmakers briefly addressed the release of the evidence in comments to reporters in the Capitol on Friday.

“I didn’t hear the 911 call. I didn’t hear the confession. I did not see the burglary and I have absolutely no intention of seeing the fatal assault on my husband’s life,” she said.

Thanking people for their prayers for his recovery, Nancy Pelosi said her husband is “making progress but it will take more time”.

A coalition of at least a dozen news organizations, including The Times, asked the court to order the San Francisco prosecutor’s office to release copies of the recordings already submitted in evidence, arguing that the news media and the public had the right to review them.

DePape’s attorneys declined to release that evidence, saying it could jeopardize his right to a fair trial and fuel more misinformation about the case. The attack on Pelosi has spawned a flurry of unsubstantiated conspiracy theories online, including on popular social media platforms.

San Francisco County Superior Court Judge Stephen Murphy disagreed with these objections, dismissing them as speculation. He said that the right to a fair trial was “certainly a legitimate concern in any case” but that the court could not refuse to release files for fear they might be tampered with.

The evidence released by the court is limited to material presented during a hearing in December. Although the videos were shown in court and reported by the media at the time, news organizations were denied access to release the material to the public until the court’s decision this week.

Throughout the 911 call, it’s clear that Pelosi is trying to convey that something is terribly wrong without losing his composure.

“He thinks everything is fine,” he said, speaking of DePape. “I have a problem, but he likes everything.”

Pelosi told the dispatcher he didn’t know the man. When the dispatcher asks the man’s name, DePape replies that his name is David. The dispatcher then asks who David is.

“I don’t know,” Pelosi said. DePape chimes in that he’s “a friend of theirs.”

“He says he’s a friend,” Pelosi replied, again saying he didn’t know who he was and was being told to hang up. “I have to stop talking to you, okay?”

The dispatcher said she could call Pelosi to “make sure everything is okay.” But Pelosi said he was instructed to hang up the phone and the call ended.

Minutes later the police are at the door.

Body camera footage, which corroborates narrative investigators provided after the attack, shows police arriving at the Pacific Heights home and seeing Pelosi and the suspect standing quietly, each with one hand on a large hammer.

After police demanded that the gun be dropped, DePape snatched control of the hammer, swung it over his head and hit Pelosi, police and video said.

Officers burst into the home and attacked DePape as Pelosi lay motionless.

DePape was obsessed with right-wing conspiracy theories and spent much of his time alone absorbing extremist views online, people who knew him told The Times shortly after the attack. Some of these views were reflected in an interview the San Francisco police conducted with DePape shortly after his arrest.

In a 17-minute clip of the interview, DePape offered San Francisco Police Sgt. Carla Hurley about his plans to break into the Pelosi home and interrogate the former House Speaker.

“I’m not trying to get away with it,” DePape said. “I know exactly what I did.”

Hurley asks why DePape targeted the Pelosis and if the family did anything to him.

“Not me specifically, but frankly to the American public at large,” he replied.

DePape said he considers Nancy Pelosi “the leader of the pack” of lie-telling Democrats in Washington. He then meandered to Watergate, Hillary Clinton, and spied on rival Democrat political campaigns and other conspiracies working against former President Trump.

DePape said the Democratic Party went on a “crime spree” during Trump’s four-year tenure “until they were finally able to steal the election.”

DePape then described how he intended to break into the Pelosis’ home, take the Democratic lawmaker hostage and “talk to her.”

“If she were telling the truth, I would let her get away with it,” he said. But if she lied, he added, he would “break her kneecaps.”

“He wasn’t my target,” DePape said of Paul Pelosi.

He then described breaking into the house with a hammer and smashing his way through glass. He said the exertion left him “quite out of breath” at one point.

Capitol Police video, also released Friday, shows a man walking toward a glass door on the outside of the Pelosi home. He looks through the glass, walks away and returns with a large backpack and a bag. He sets down the bags and removes several items, including a hammer.

He then goes to the house and repeatedly swings the hammer. The camera angle doesn’t show which surface the hammer hits, but after several hits and a commotion that looks like broken glass, the footage shows the man entering the house.

DePape said he initially thought no one was home, but was then “surprised” to find Paul Pelosi.

DePape said he told Paul Pelosi he was looking for his wife. Paul Pelosi asked DePape how the two could “resolve” the situation, he said. DePape said he was so tired from breaking into the house and carrying a heavy backpack full of supplies that all he wanted to do was tie up Paul Pelosi and go to sleep.

Paul Pelosi then called 911 while DePape stood by his side the entire time. DePape said he just wanted to be “open” with Paul Pelosi, but he wouldn’t be deterred by efforts to distract him.

“I have other goals. And I can’t be stopped by him,” DePape said.

“Why didn’t you just leave?” asked the investigator.

“You know, the Founding Fathers fought the British. They fought against tyranny. They didn’t just surrender. And when I left my house I went to fight tyranny. I didn’t go to surrender,” he said.

DePape described Paul Pelosi running to the door when police arrived.

“I’m standing right next to him with the hammer,” DePape said.

Pelosi then took the hammer from him, DePape said, “so I basically yanked it off him and hit him.”

“I told him I won’t surrender. I’m here for the fight,” he continued. “If you stop me from chasing after evil, you will take the punishment instead.”

He told police he didn’t know how many times he hit Paul Pelosi, but that he used his “full force.”

Paul Pelosi has attended public events in Washington since the attack. He accompanied his wife to an event at the Kennedy Center in December, The Hill reported, and was photographed with her as the new session of Congress began Jan. 3.

“It was tough,” Nancy Pelosi said in a recent interview with The New York Times. “It’s going to be about three or four months before he’s really back to normal.”

Times contributor Nolan D. McCaskill contributed to this report.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2023-01-27/la-me-paul-pelosi-attack-video Police release video of Paul Pelosi attack, suspect’s confession

Alley Einstein

USTimesPost.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@ustimespost.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button