PHILADELPHIA (WPVI) — The bad news is that nobody won Wednesday night’s massive $1.2 billion Powerball jackpot.
The good news is that the prize has grown even bigger to $1.5 billion ahead of Saturday night’s next draw. This is the third largest lottery win in US history.
But there is more good news. Three tickets in New Jersey matched all five white balls. Two winners will receive a $1 million prize. The third winner included the Power Play option for an additional $1 per game and will receive $2 million.
The numbers drawn on Wednesday night were: 2, 11, 22, 35, 60 and the red Powerball 23.
No one has won the top Powerball prize since August 3, resulting in 39 consecutive draws without anyone matching all six numbers.
What is behind three months of lottery futility? It’s simple math. The odds of winning the jackpot are a miserable 1 in 292.2 million.
It is because of these long winning odds that the grand prize has become so large.
The new $1.5 billion prize is actually for winners who choose an annuity that is paid out annually for 29 years. Almost all of the winners opt for cash, which would be $745.9 million for Saturday’s drawing.
RELATED: What to consider if you win the lottery
The biggest lottery jackpot of all time was a $1.5863 billion Powerball prize in 2016, with the top prize shared by three winners in California, Florida and Tennessee.
Powerball is played in 45 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. The odds of winning the Powerball jackpot are 1 in 292 million and tickets cost $2 each.
SEE ALSO: Why is the Powerball jackpot getting so big?
The 10 Largest Mega Millions, Powerball Jackpots Won in US Lottery History
1. $1.586 billion, Powerball, January 13, 2016 (three lots from California, Florida, Tennessee)
2. $1.537 billion, Mega Millions, October 23, 2018 (one entry, from South Carolina)
3. $1.337 billion, Mega Millions, July 29, 2022 (one ticket, from Illinois)
4. $1.05 billion, Mega Millions, January 22, 2021 (one ticket, from Michigan)
5. $768.4 million, Powerball, March 27, 2019 (one ticket from Wisconsin)
6. $758.7 million, Powerball, August 23, 2017 (one ticket from Massachusetts)
7. $731.1 million, Powerball, January 20, 2021 (one ticket from Maryland)
8. $699.8 million, Powerball, October 4, 2021 (one ticket from California)
9. $687.8 million, Powerball, October 27, 2018 (two tickets, from Iowa and New York)
10. $656 million, Mega Millions, March 30, 2012 (three tickets, from Kansas, Illinois and Maryland)
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Copyright © 2022 WPVI-TV. All rights reserved.
https://6abc.com/powerball-numbers-jackpot-drawing-time-winner-11222/12411915/ Powerball Numbers: 3 New Jersey tickets win big; jackpot rises to $1.5 billion