2022 is a big year for lottery jackpots. With a $1.35 billion prize pool already won and another jackpot on the rise, 2023 may be no different.
WASHINGTON – Lottery hopefuls who missed out on the latest big prize from Mega Millions – a $1.35 billion jackpot won Friday in Maine – can turn to Powerball for another award is in development. The estimated jackpot for Saturday night’s drawing is $404 million.
Saturday’s winning numbers were 24-26-39-47-57 and the Powerball was 23. Next drawing is Monday.
While $404 million isn’t a small amount, it’s only for the game’s annuity option, which pays out over 29 years. Most players want their money fast and take a smaller amount of cash – in this case $211.7 million.
The current jackpot also has a hard-to-follow action. A Mega Millions player in Maine won a $1.35 billion prize Friday night, becoming the first person in the state to win the Mega Millions jackpot. More than a dozen other players won the game’s $1 million second-place prize.
THAN: A winning ticket for the $1.35 billion Mega Millions jackpot
The last Powerball jackpot win was in mid-November. In early November, a single ticket purchased in California won a $2.04 billion Powerball jackpot.
The odds of winning the Powerball jackpot are very low – one in 292.2 million.
Over the past few years, huge lottery jackpots have become more popular as lottery officials have changed the rules and ticket prices to increase the top prize.
In 2021, the lottery game saw its biggest change as Powerball officials added a Monday draw to the weekly draw list on Wednesday and Saturday nights. At the time of publication, Powerball claimed the addition of a Monday draw would result in a “bigger, faster-rising jackpot”.
Powerball is played in 45 states, as well as Washington, DC, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands.
What is the biggest US lottery jackpot ever won?
- $2.04 billion, Powerball, November 8, 2022 (one ticket, from California)
- $1.586 billion, Powerball, January 13, 2016 (three tickets, from California, Florida, Tennessee)
- $1.537 billion, Mega Millions, October 23, 2018 (one ticket, from South Carolina)
- $1.35 billion Mega Millions, January 13, 2023 (one ticket, from Maine)
- $1.337 billion, Mega Millions, July 29, 2022 (one ticket, from Illinois)
- $1.05 billion, Mega Millions, January 22, 2021 (one ticket, from Michigan)
- $768.4 million, Powerball, March 27, 2019 (one ticket, from Wisconsin)
- $758.7 million, Powerball, August 23, 2017 (one ticket, from Massachusetts)
- $731.1 million, Powerball, January 20, 2021 (one ticket, from Maryland)
- $699.8 million, Powerball, October 4, 2021 (one ticket, from California)
https://www.king5.com/article/news/nation-world/powerball-winning-numbers-jan-14-2023/507-f75e6fed-1bbb-4a7d-ac3f-3dec1c6e3033 Powerball: Winning numbers for Saturday, Jan. 14, 2023