This story is part of a limited series that explores friendship in Los Angeles, from appearance to fulfillment.
Not all friendships are created equal. What you think of a circle of friends is like a pyramid of stacked disks; The vast base gathers random people from your Facebook feed, FINO (Friends in Name Only), trash friends, energy vampires, and people you know from improv class. At the top of the stack are a rare number of ride-or-die peeps that know your darkest secrets and are always there to fetch you from LAX any time of day or night.
The strength of any relationship in between can be gauged by figuring out exactly what you’re willing to do for (or tolerate from) your friends. And if you’ve lived in LA long enough, you’ll realize there are very LA-specific ways to rank the relative strength of these relationships. So take a look below and see where your friends (or you for that matter) fit within the LA friendship sphere.
This list of 21 controversial friend types arranged in ascending order, starting with the lowest-ranking, least-special types of friends and ending with the best – and rarest – types of friends that you could hope to have in the City of Angels. Did we receive the wrong order? Missing out on a particular kind of friendship you know deeply? Talk about it with your friends!
21. Friend invites you to watch their stand-up comedy but forgot to mention the two-drink minimum.
20. Friend said they make an appointment to meet at happy hour anytime – as long as it doesn’t involve passing 405 or rush hour.
19. The friend that forgot to mention you have spinach in your teeth when taking a selfie in front of the Los Angeles County Museum of Art’s “Urban Lights” piece and then tagging your Instagram post with #greentooth .
18. The friend that allows you to use their extra parking space in Koreatown – even if you’re not visiting them.
17. Friend lend you their Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences slideshows.
16. The friend that absolutely hate hiking but always come down to hike Fryman Canyon with you anyway.
15. The friend that takes you to your first singing session at the Hollywood Bowl “Sound of Music”.
14. The friend that will brave the parking lot at Grove to meet you at the Cheesecake Factory.
13. The friend that sit in a movie theater until they can take an iPhone photo with your name on it in the final credits even if it’s somewhere below the food service provider and before the disclaimer duty.
12. The friend that call you with a Dodger ticket that they can’t use.
11. The friend that get past that ultimate LA street parking hack (night and sunday yellow queue attack).
10. The friend that Will brave the line at Howlin’ Ray’s and bring you a hot chicken sandwich.
9. The friend that get you running the night before your audition for a Verizon commercial.
8. Friend make you their plus when they win the Hollywood Pantages Broadway Lottery in Hollywood.
7. Friend say “Go ahead and use my pool whenever you want – here’s the key to the gate.”
6. Friend Be your last-minute dog walker when an unexpected Uber redirect sends you all the way to southern Orange County.
5. Friend will pass the Marathon LA route – more than once – to see you for Sunday brunch.
4. Friend Take your kids to baseball practice in Simi Valley because you work in El Segundo.
3. Friend just gave you their last guest ticket to the Magic Castle.
2 friends To be always there to talk to you after a bad ride after you think it’s a good idea to take all those shrooms and wander around Joshua Tree.
1 friend will pick you up at LAX on Sunday – no questions asked.
https://www.latimes.com/lifestyle/story/2022-07-28/los-angeles-friendships-ranked-will-they-pick-you-up-at-lax Rank your friends on the L.A. friendship scale