Ricky Martin’s nephew on Thursday retracted his claims that he was molested by the 50-year-old singer after he ended their affair.
Martin’s nephew had said the two ended a romantic relationship earlier this year, but Martin would not leave him alone and had hung around near his house “at least three times”. The 21-year-old said he “feared for his safety” and prompted a Puerto Rican judge to issue a restraining order against Martin on July 1.
Police spokesman Axel Valencia told the Associated Press that authorities tried to deliver the order to Martin near his home in the north coast town of Dorado but “couldn’t locate” him on Saturday. According to Valencia, the person who entered the order chose to bypass a police report – which might have allowed authorities to bring charges against Martin – and instead took the request directly to the court.
The restraining order was lifted after Martin’s nephew dropped his lawsuit. Martin’s attorneys Joaquín Monserrate-Matienzo, Carmelo Dávila and Harry Massanet Pastrana released a joint statement celebrating the decision on Thursday morning.
“As we expected, the temporary protection order was not renewed by the court,” the statement said. “The Prosecutor confirmed to the Court that his decision to dismiss the matter was solely his own, without outside influence or pressure, and the Prosecutor confirmed that he was satisfied with his legal representation in the matter. The motion came from the prosecutor, asking that the case be dismissed. This was never more than a troubled individual making false claims with absolutely nothing to back it up. We are glad that justice has been done for our client and that he can now move forward in his life and career.”
Martin’s nephew has not commented publicly. The “Livin’ La Vida Loca” singer denied the claims on Twitter earlier this month in a message shared in both English and Spanish.
“The protection order issued against me is based on completely false allegations, so I will respond to the trial with the facts and dignity that characterize me,” Martin said said. “Because this is an ongoing legal matter, I am unable to give any detailed statements at this time. I am grateful for the countless expressions of solidarity and accept them with all my heart.”
Martin will play back-to-back shows at the Hollywood Bowl this weekend, with his publicist confirming to The Times this week that the show would “absolutely” go ahead amid the controversy.
Christi Carras, a Times contributor, contributed to this report.
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2022-07-21/ricky-martin-nephew-incest-harassment-restraining-order-withdraw Ricky Martin’s nephew withdraws claims against singer