BALTIMORE (WJZ) – Every year, Preakness brings world-class thrills, entertainment, and horse racing to Baltimore. The second leg of the Triple Crown delivers one more thing: traffic.
In preparation for a very busy weekend, the Baltimore City Department of Transportation has announced road closures and special modes of transportation will be implemented in the Pimlico area.
READ MORE: Maryland Weather: Rain tonight, record temperatures this weekend
The department encourages Preakness attendees to carpool or use public transportation. The department said drivers to Pimlico Racecourse should park in commercial areas and avoid parking in adjacent areas.
Those traveling northwest of Baltimore on Saturday will expect delays throughout the day and should watch out for pedestrians and changing traffic patterns while driving.
Below are the closed routes provided by the City of Baltimore Department of Transportation:
READ MORE: Crisis Inside the Classroom: Baltimore County Teacher Gathering, Changing Needs
Friday, May 20 from 5 a.m. to Saturday, May 21 at 11 p.m
- Rogers Avenue – From Winner Avenue to W. Northern Parkway is closed
- Bland Avenue – Closed from W. Northern Parkway to Rogers Avenue
- Key Avenue – From W. Northern Parkway to Rogers Avenue is closed
- Woodcrest Avenue – Closed from W. Northern Parkway to Rogers Avenue
- Merville Avenue – W. Northern Parkway to Rogers Avenue is closed
- Stuart Avenue – Closed from W. Northern Parkway to Rogers Avenue
- Rogers Avenue – Westbound One Way Traffic from Winner Avenue to Park Heights Avenue
- Winners Avenue – One-way northbound traffic from Hayward Avenue to W. Northern Parkway
Saturday, May 21 from 5:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Westbound Northern Parkway – The right lane is blocked from Falls Road to W. Rogers Avenue
Saturday, May 21 from 6:00am to 10:00pm
- The Southbound Jones Falls Expressway exit ramp to the east W. Northern Parkway will be closed. Motorists will be redirected to the Cold Spring Lane exit.
- Cylburn Avenue – Closed from W. Northern Parkway to Greenspring Avenue
Saturday, May 21 from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Hayward Avenue – One-way traffic eastbound from Park Heights Avenue to Winner Avenue
MORE NEWS: COVID outbreak at Baltimore-area schools raises concerns for parents
Saturday, May 21 from 5:00pm to 10:00pm
- The ramps off the northbound Jones Falls Expressway and south to the westbound North Park Road will be closed. Motorists will be redirected to the Cold Spring Lane exit.
- Pimlico Street – Closed from W. Northern Parkway to Ken Oak Avenue
https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2022/05/17/road-closures-parking-restrictions-to-expect-for-the-preakness-stakes/ Road Closures & Parking Restrictions To Expect For The Preakness Stakes – CBS Baltimore