Roger Federer, out of action for past year, says he hopes to play Wimbledon again

LONDON — Roger Federer said he hopes for another chance to win Wimbledon and spoke again about his future while speaking at Center Court’s 100-year celebrations on Sunday.

Asked by John McEnroe and Sue Barker, who hosted the ceremony, if he would ever come back to play Wimbledon, Federer replied: “I hope I can come back again.”

Federer’s last competitive game came in the Wimbledon quarter-finals last year when he lost to Hubert Hurkacz in straight sets. In mid-August, Federer announced he was undergoing knee surgery and would be absent for “many months”.

Federer, 40, said last month he intended to return to top-flight tennis in 2023 and would play in the Laver Cup at the end of September if he continues his comeback.

The news that the eight-time champion was at Wimbledon broke on Sunday morning after walking around the grounds. Federer was the last of the past champions to step onto the famous lawn as part of the celebration and he received a standing ovation from the crowd.

After being asked for some memories of playing on this famous pitch, Federer said: “I’ve been lucky to play a lot of games on this pitch. It feels uncomfortable to be here in a different kind of role today.

“It’s great to be here with all the other champions. This place has given me my biggest wins and my biggest losses.”

Federer said he knew he was in for a “tough year” due to his injury while playing at Wimbledon in 2021.

“I maybe didn’t think it would take so long to come back. The knee bothered me,” he said. “It’s been a good year, regardless of tennis. We’re happy at home. I didn’t know if I should make the trip, but I’m happy to be here now.”

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/34188197/roger-federer-action-year-says-hopes-play-wimbledon-again Roger Federer, out of action for past year, says he hopes to play Wimbledon again

Emma Bowman

USTimesPost.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@ustimespost.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button