Seven Michigan St. football players charged in tunnel melee

Seven Michigan State soccer players are charged with felonies stemming from the attack on two Wolverines players in the Michigan Stadium tunnel after the two teams played Oct. 29, the Washtenaw County Attorney’s Office announced Wednesday.

Defense attorney Khary Crump faces assault charges after video was released showing Crump hitting Michigan defense attorney Gemon Green with his helmet. Defensive end Jacoby Windmon was also featured in the video and is charged with one tackle and one battery.

Itayvion Brown, Angelo Grose, Justin White, Brandon Wright and Zion Young all face aggravated assault charges. The video showed a crowd of players surrounding Michigan defenseman Ja’Den McBurrows, punching and kicking him while he was prone.

Michigan State initially suspended Crump, Grose, Brown and Young, and when more video evidence was revealed, Windmon, Wright, White and Malcolm Jones were also suspended.

Jones was not charged with a felony Wednesday.

“At the University of Michigan, we appreciate the thoughtful, deliberate approach of the Washtenaw County Attorney’s Office to this unfortunate incident,” Michigan President Santa J. Ono said in a statement. “We would also like to express our concern for all the players involved, particularly those who have been injured. The University of Michigan will continue to cooperate fully in further reviews of this matter.”

Teresa K. Woodruff, interim Michigan state president, meanwhile, released a statement later Wednesday saying the school will “continue to review this matter and cooperate with any investigation.”

“While we do not condone the actions of some soccer players on October 29, we will support our student athletes in this process,” she said. “MSU firmly believes in restorative justice practices and education about harmful acts.”‘

She added that universities “need to make our respective environments safe places to compete.” Woodruff didn’t elaborate on what those changes might be.

According to his father, George Green, who told ESPN, Green was included in the concussion transcript that the family plans to press charges against those involved in the altercation.

Those charges came following an investigation conducted by the University of Michigan Department of Public Safety, and the prosecutor said in the statement that no further comment would be made at this time.

Green suffered a concussion that kept him out of a game before returning to play in Michigan’s 34-3 win over Nebraska.

Michigan increased security presence in and around the tunnel, preventing Wolverines from entering it until every Nebraska player left the field at halftime and after the game.

The Associated Press contributed to this report. Seven Michigan St. football players charged in tunnel melee

Emma Bowman is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button