Schools around western Washington have announced cancellations and delays amid snowfall and icy road conditions.
SEATTLE – Several school districts around western Washington announced the postponement or cancellation of school Monday morning due to the impact of winter weather.
All Puyallup School District schools will close on December 5, while schools in South Kitsap will start 2 hours late due to icy conditions.
“We find it inconvenient when we close schools or schools are delayed. But it is best to broadcast with caution because we have students driving to review,” said Sarah Gillispie, Communications Director for the Puyallup School District.
The Tacoma School District will also start two hours late and there will be no transportation out of the district.
Check out school closures and delays
Tacoma Metro Parks also announced Sunday night that operating hours for some facilities will be affected by local weather.
- All community centers will open at 9 a.m. (Eastside, People’s, STAR, Center at Norpoint)
- The Tacoma Nature Center will open at 9 a.m. for shows; at 10 a.m. to the public.
- Meadow Park Golf Couse will announce its opening hours tomorrow morning.
- Fort Nisqually Living History Museum and Northwest Trek Wildlife Park will be closed according to their usual seasonal schedule.
- Point Defiance Marina, Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium, WW Seymour Conservatory and all other parks, rentals and events including Zoolights, will be open at normal hours.
- Beyond the Bell and youth athletic programs will follow the Tacoma Public Schools opening ceremony, announced at tacomaschools.org/.
This is an evolving story. Check back for updates.
WSDOT said there was snow and ice on the road and advised travelers to increase travel times and delays.
Before you go over the mountains, make sure to check the pass conditions as there can be closures and sometimes a leash may be required.
The Washington State Department of Transportation may close one or both directions of the pass if inclement weather or a collision necessitates closure.
Eastbound I-90 was closed for several hours Sunday afternoon following a 15-car collision near Easton.
Here’s how to check if the passes are open or closed in each direction before you hit the road:
Check out the mountain pass
>> Click here for KING 5 PASS REPORT
https://www.king5.com/article/weather/school-districts-delays-closures-winter-weather-storm-impacts/281-826d99db-0f20-4576-b6da-50768385380a Several school districts announce delays, closures due to winter weather: Storm impacts