The stress of a world tour has gotten Canadian singer-songwriter Shawn Mendes, who has announced he is taking a break to focus on his mental health. Wonder: The World Tour, which just started last week, will be suspended for the next three weeks – a total of 12 concert dates are affected.
“I’ve been touring since I was 15 and to be honest it’s always been difficult to be out and about without friends and family,” he posted on Instagram Friday night. “After a few years off the road I felt like I was ready to dive back in, but that decision was premature and unfortunately the toll of the road and the pressure caught up with me [I’ve] reached a breaking point.”
Mendes said in the post that he discussed the situation with his team, as well as with healthcare professionals, and decided to prioritize self-care.
“I need to take some time to heal and take care of myself and my mental health first and foremost,” he said.
The touring, rock star life — the open road, raving fans, and late-night after-parties — has long been glorified. But more and more touring musicians are publicly addressing the very real burdens involved, canceling performances to focus on their health.
Carlos Santana, who is touring with Earth, Wind & Fire, recently passed out on stage at the Pine Knob Music Theater in Clarkston, Michigan and was taken to an emergency room. A representative told People magazine his collapse was due to heat exhaustion and dehydration and that he has since recovered. The 74-year-old guitarist canceled six upcoming shows to rest and recover.
Mendes – who was also suffering from personal stress after splitting from singer-songwriter Camila Cabello late last year – will continue the North American leg of his Wonder Tour in Toronto on July 31.
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/story/2022-07-09/shawn-mendes-cancels-tour-dates-to-prioritize-my-mental-health-first-and-foremost Shawn Mendes cancels tour dates to prioritize mental health