Ted Cruz accuses the much-anticipated Barbie Film about “promoting Chinese propaganda” after a trailer for the Warner Bros. release appeared to show a map referencing China’s disputed claims to the South China Sea.
“Senator Cruz has fought for years to prevent American companies, particularly Hollywood studios, from modifying and censoring their content to appease the Chinese Communist Party,” a spokesman for the Texas Republican said told The Daily Mail.
The problem stems from the so-called “nine-dash line” used on Chinese maps to show the country’s purported possessions in the South China Sea.
The line, first published on Chinese maps in the 1940s, marks an area 1,200 miles from mainland China that encompasses more than 80 percent of the South China Sea. accordingly The Los Angeles Times.
Portions of territory within the line, a busy fishing and trading corridor with valuable oil and gas resources and strategic importance, are claimed by nations like Vietnam and the Philippines.
About a minute later Barbie The film’s main trailer features a world map with an eight-dot line protruding from a cartoonish drawing of Asia.
The Independent has reached out to Warner Bros. for comment.
The Republican senator from Texas isn’t the only one upset about the card.
Reportedly Vietnam banned the movie over the apparent reference to the Chinese claims.
The decision was issued by the country’s Central Council for Film Rating and Classification, Vi Kien Thanh, head of Vietnam’s cinema department. told himTuoi Tre Newspaper On Monday.
The film was scheduled to premiere in the country on July 21, to coincide with its theatrical release in the US.
It’s not the first time the territorial claims have impacted a Hollywood release.
Action film screenings Unexplored in Vietnam were stopped last year for the same reason. The ticket dispute also led to Vietnam cutting a scene from the 2018 smash hit Crazy rich Asiansaccording to the post.
The territorial dispute over the area in question in the South China Sea was brought up before The Hague in 2016, where China lost most of its claims. Beijing has not accepted the verdict.