Tired of using productivity apps that require account sign-ups, endless access, and questionable privacy policies? While it is ideal to use your Android device for taking notes, recording, managing passwords, and other productivity tasks, finding that perfect app among the millions of apps on the Store Google Play is difficult.
That’s why we’ve put together this list of great productivity apps for Android, all of which are open source. This means that their code is publicly viewable; this transparency is said to lead to greater security and it allows you to fork your own version if you are knowledgeable.
Without further ado, here are the best open source Android apps that can help you organize and find more time in your day.
Why should you use open source productivity apps?
There’s no denying that smartphone apps are becoming more and more intrusive, as apps ask for unnecessary access to location, microphone, camera, contacts, and storage, hence the challenge. privacy. The fear of allowing tech companies access to such personal data grows when you realize that the software is proprietary (closed source).
Open source applications solve the major concerns of users because they allow transparency. The code on which applications run is public, allowing for unbiased inspection by third parties. However, that does not mean that open source applications do not require access. But most of them answer first about that and only ask for access to necessary permissions.
In fact, four of the five open source productivity apps we’ve collected below don’t even require you to create an account to access them. Let’s go through them.
1. Repeat Habit Tracker
Good habits are the foundation for productivity. That behavior needs to be repeated often and subconsciously to form a habit. This makes it important that you can effectively track your habits to understand your behavior.
Loop Habit Tracker provides an ad-free experience. While you’re busy tracking your habits and building habit trails, the app generates colorful and detailed statistics for you to analyze.
- The application has a modern and uncluttered interface that is easy to use. The app’s home screen shows all your activity routines. You can also add your custom widgets on your phone’s home screen.
- You do not need to create an account to use the app. Actually, you don’t need an internet connection.
- You can track your habits and get detailed stats to help you improve over time. For in-depth analysis, you can also export your charts and statistics.
- The application does not support data synchronization with any other platforms.
Download: Loop Habit Tracker for Android (Free)
2. Bitwarden Password Manager
Any online service or application that you own requires you to have a password to access your account. Remembering all those necessary passwords is a hard job and can eat up all of your important time.
Bitwarden is an open source password manager that remembers and even generates passwords for you. Besides being a safe and easy to use application, Bitwarden also gives you transparency by making it open source and available on GitHub so that anyone can easily monitor or check its activity. .
- Not only are your passwords and data protected with AES 256-bit encryption, but the app also offers two-factor authentication for added security.
- Bitwarden is also available for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac and browsers. This allows you to sync your passwords across all your devices without any hassle.
- Bitwarden is a password manager that helps you get the job done. However, it can be overwhelming for first time users.
Download: Bitwarden Password Manager for Android (Free)
3. Simple Notes Pro
Taking quick and easy notes is a key element of productivity. Whether you’re a student or a working professional, jotting down notes on the go will keep your creativity flowing.
Simple Notes Pro is an ad-free note taking app. You can add its colorful widget directly on the home screen to quickly take notes and refer to them later. Whether you want to take notes or create to-do lists, you can do it all in the app.
- Simple Notes Pro allows to customize the color, text and size. Furthermore, you can create widgets for quick access to your notes.
- All your notes are automatically saved, so you will never lose any important information even if you close the app halfway. You can also export your notes as PDF.
- It does not allow you to add images to notes.
- There is a small fee to download from Google Play.
Download: Simple Notes Pro from Google Play ($1.09) | F-Droid (Free)
4. Simple Calendar Pro
Everyone needs a reliable and feature-rich calendar to schedule the events of their time and life. But most people don’t feel comfortable handing over access to personal information to large corporations.
Simple Calendar Pro is an offline and ad-free calendar app that makes it easy to view your schedule. The application can also integrate and synchronize with other calendars such as Google Calendar, Microsoft Outlook, etc.
- It does not require internet access, thus providing good privacy and security for your personal data.
- The entire interface of Simple Calendar Pro is highly customizable. You can also add widgets on your home screen that show upcoming important events. The app also offers support for more than 30 languages.
- The app allows daily, weekly, monthly, yearly and event viewing. In addition, you set reminders for important events.
- You can create separate calendars (for example, one for personal, another for business) and easily switch between them.
- There is no desktop version; Cross-device compatibility is often very useful for a calendar application.
- The Play Store version is not free.
Download: Simple Calendar Pro from Google Play ($1.39) | F-Droid (Free)
5. Voice recorder
Not everyone likes to actively jot down their thoughts and ideas on paper or a note-taking app. Instead, some prefer faster recording. Then again, many users refuse to do so because popular apps ask for access to your personal information.
Audio Recorder is an application that allows you to record and save audio directly on your phone. The amazing user interface of the app experience is modern, ad-free and highly customizable.
- Voice recorder allows you to record audio, play back the recordings and even import audio files stored on your smartphone.
- The application supports M4A, WAV (lossless) and 3GP recording formats for quality sound at a small size. You also have many options for sample rate and bit rate.
- Audio Recorder does not allow you to record directly on external storage.
Download: Voice recorder for Android (Free)
Increase productivity without compromising privacy
There are so many apps available to help you stay productive and organized that it can be difficult to decide which one to use. However, when transparency and privacy are your biggest concerns, proper research and review is essential.
Whatever you are looking for productivity apps for, be it for workflows or to assist with mental health conditions like ADHD, these open source apps are sure to come in handy.
Top 7 productivity apps for people with ADHD
About the author
https://www.makeuseof.com/best-android-productivity-apps/ The 5 Best Open Source Android Apps for Productivity